Re: Questions: estate sale lot of machines

Post by ts_13 »

Did you pick up anything today?

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

ts_13 wrote:Did you pick up anything today?
Yes! I haven't had time to post about it, but we got the ics machine, and about 40 amberol cylinders. The "rewind" feature is of course present, and the mainspring is fortunately in tact. The ics plate is missing, but I hope to find one in the yankee trader section.

We were about to get the victor, but a rude woman who had cut in line had ran to grab the machine, and dumped a bunch of other things in a pile without thinking, and not caring about handling it with care. Even though we had gotten there early, and she had cut in line, they told us there was nothing they could do :evil: she got the victor for 400! Well, here are the pictures of what we got.
Attachments
561654309.jpg
561654268.jpg

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

Thanks for updating the post and enjoy the records and phonograph.

Victor VI

Re: (Updated) estate sale lot of machines

Post by 52089 »

You probably already know that you have a 2-minute only machine and the Blue Amberols are 4 minute records, so they won't play properly.

I would suggest you post a good picture of the ID plate as I think you probably have an uncommon Model C machine.

marco
Victor II

Post by marco »

52089 wrote:You probably already know that you have a 2-minute only machine and the Blue Amberols are 4 minute records, so they won't play properly.

I would suggest you post a good picture of the ID plate as I think you probably have an uncommon Model C machine.
Sorry you didn't get the Victor. Some People are cuthroats at these sales and don't care who's neck that they step on or who's back the trample to get what they want. Ay least you have some control at an auction. Believe me another will come along in time and then you'll forget about that "lady." She was probably an antique dealer with her eye on the prize without any of the consideration or appreciation a collector like you would have. Congrats on what you did get. No sale is bad as long as you walk away with something. Mark

Mormon S
Victor III

Post by Mormon S »

52089 wrote:You probably already know that you have a 2-minute only machine and the Blue Amberols are 4 minute records, so they won't play properly.

Yes, I am aware. There were around 100 cylinders, but we only took the best ones. It was next to an amberola 30. I would have taken it, but it was missing the front grate, and the parts were rusty, wasn't worth 75 bucks to me.

Mormon S
Victor III

Post by Mormon S »

52089 wrote: I would suggest you post a good picture of the ID plate as I think you probably have an uncommon Model C machine.
You were right! Model c. So, how much more uncommon ie it than most ics machines, and what are the differences?

I also forgot to mention, it can with the larger, incorrect crank on the left, but when I opened the machine, the original crank was inside. Can anyone identify the one on the left?
Attachments
20181022_163050.jpg
20181022_163444.jpg

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Mormon S wrote:
You were right! Model c. So, how much more uncommon ie it than most ics machines, and what are the differences?
Here's a post on my old Model C Standard that will answer many of your questions.

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =+new+york

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

The crank on the left is from an off brand machine. Sorry but it has little value. Jerry B.

Mormon S
Victor III

Post by Mormon S »

I made this post a while ago, but I thought I would show the "after" pictures of what I got from this.

Working on this was fun, and my first standard phonograph. When I got it it was missing a couple of things, and some needed replacing. The grease in the motor was so hardened that tho motor wouldn't move. I had to spin the governer for a minute for the grease to loosen up and let the spring unwind. I thought it was unwound, and I almost removed the governer!

I have it on sale for Ebay at an admittedly high price, but I will gradually bring the price down until someone dicides they want to buy it. I have seen machines go on Ebay for much more than they would on the forum, so I dont want to kick myself over it later thinking about what I could have gotten from it.

Here is what replaced

-new mandrel bearing
-new belt
-new gaskets
-new lid handle post
-raplaced missing ICS tag
-replaced missing listening tubes
-ics cylinders

Martin
Attachments
IMG_20181204_204745_572.jpg
received_326342251290628.jpeg