Edison Cylinder Record & Horses

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Slaton
Victor O

Edison Cylinder Record & Horses

Post by Slaton »

I thought I would try the Forum for an answer to this question I was asked by a neighbor. Is there any cylinder record that is focused on horse racing/race or a famous horse or a topic/song that a horse fanatic would know about and would like to hear.

Anil

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: Edison Cylinder Record & Horses

Post by Lucius1958 »

I wonder if "Horses, Horses, Horses" ever got issued on Blue Amberol...

"Pony Boy" might be good...

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

Heres the list of the ones I could find

Blue Amberol #2076 "the horse trot" performed by The National Promenade Band

Blue amberol #4183. "My home town is a one horse tow" sung by Jim Doherty.

Gold Moulded #9674. "Danny and his hobby horse" played by the Edison concert band.

Gold Moulded #9392. "The next horse I ride on" sung by Helen Trix

The "Jim Lawson's horse trade" series.
(U.S. Everlasting #1581) (Indestructible Record #906) (Edison Standard Record #10070) All performed by Cal Stewert

Columbia cylinder #31574 "Uncle Josh on Jim Lawson's horse trade" also released on Columbia discs.

Edison Record #7847 (brown wax) "Jim Lawson's horse trade with Deacon Weatherspoon"

Brown wax recording of horse auction, which can be found here http://www.library.ucsb.edu/OBJID/Cylinder13095

You may not have needed that much, but if anyone else was wondering, here is a full list (of what I could find)
Last edited by Mormon S on Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Post by phonogal »

There's a couple that come to mind. A race for a wife. The next horse I ride on. Jim Lawson's horse trade

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Ride of the Thuringia Hussars! Blue Amberol No. 1729 released 1913.

The history freak in me had to buy this one--a song by the Marine Band, about the Winged Hussars, on direct flat-top Blue Amberol. And I have zero regrets.

I also have the Edisonia re-release of "Pony Boy" with the 1909 sheet music cover on the box. Great job Rob for the fantastic album art, and great job as always to the Peerless Quartette for making "barbershop" harmonies not only endurable, but super-fun!

Slaton
Victor O

Post by Slaton »

Thank you to all those who replied above...good options to offer up to my neighbors.

Anil

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:Ride of the Thuringia Hussars! Blue Amberol No. 1729 released 1913.

The history freak in me had to buy this one--a song by the Marine Band, about the Winged Hussars, on direct flat-top Blue Amberol. And I have zero regrets.

I also have the Edisonia re-release of "Pony Boy" with the 1909 sheet music cover on the box. Great job Rob for the fantastic album art, and great job as always to the Peerless Quartette for making "barbershop" harmonies not only endurable, but super-fun!
"Ride of the Thuringia Hussars" is a personal favourite, which I often use to demonstrate just how good a directly recorded Blue Amberol can sound.

I can also add to the horse related cylinders :

Special F : Two rubes swapping horses. Steve Porter & Byron Harlan.

23330 : A Cavalry Charge. Edison Military Band.

Yamaphone
Victor O

Post by Yamaphone »

Also: "Derby Day In Dixie" by Elaine Gordon BA#3542. This one has a horse race segment in it.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

Well, I did a quick check, and, sure enough, there was an Edison cylinder of Schubert's "Erlkonig":

[from an expired auction listing] This is an Edison Blue Amberol German Series cylinder No. 26092 Der Erlkonig by Schubert sung by Johann Bischoff Comes in it's original box with lid.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Der Erlkonig by Schubert is a great art song and is about a horse pulling a sleigh through the snow, but the song is not about the horse. The song is about the little boy's fear of being taken away from his father by the Elf King. It has the famous DaDaDa DaDaDa Dot Dot Daaaa!!!! tune in it that everyone who watched old movies or cartoons knows when something evil is about to happen.