HAve you ever seen this on a Serial number?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
MikeT1970
Victor Jr

HAve you ever seen this on a Serial number?

Post by MikeT1970 »

So today I was looking over one of my new projects I am planning on working on and finding parts...(Many parts) for and noticed this on the serial number plate.
It's from a VV XVI Victor "L" Door series "B".... err... "C"??? Has anyone else seen a letter stamped over with a different Letter for a models I.D.?

Maybe it's common and this is my first one I found?
Any history or stories behind these restampings?

Thanks for any information. Just thought it was strange.
Attachments
Stamped "B" then "C" over it.
Stamped "B" then "C" over it.

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Re: HAve you ever seen this on a Serial number?

Post by NEFaurora »

Don't know about Victor Machines, but it was a fairly common occurrence on Edison Machines. When One Model type was changed over to another Model Type...usually when a "running model change" occurred... Many Edison Dataplates are found with this... A Dataplate with a previous Model stamped, and them a New model stamped over it. I wouldn't think Victor would be any different, but I don't know how often it occurred with Victor Machines....

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Re: HAve you ever seen this on a Serial number?

Post by GregVTLA »

I have seen at least one other Ldoor XVI with a B over C that was posted on here. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of any other model with this occurrence. I’m fairly sure serial numbers were stamped by hand, so this was probably someone who stamped B on accident then said, “oops this is supposed to be a C,” and corrected it.

Greg