Question for Forum Members - Columbia Grafanola "Deluxe:"

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victrola-nut
Victor O

Question for Forum Members - Columbia Grafanola "Deluxe:"

Post by Victrola-nut »

I would like to get a current ballpark value for the Columbia Grafanola "Deluxe" in mahogany. I was contacted by a gentleman that is interested in selling one and want to make him a fair offer. I found that the Talking Machine Illustrated Compendium book has this machine displayed in oak on page 191 and has a estimated value in the back of the book of $10K. I am guessing that this price is somewhat elevated due to when the book was published and the fact that the machine is rarer in oak. There is currently one of these machines listed on Ebay for about $6,700, but I know people sometimes list machines on Ebay well above retail, expecting to strike it rich on one sale.

Anyway, what would be a reasonable price for one of these without the music box attachment?

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Question for Forum Members - Columbia Grafanola "Deluxe:

Post by Curt A »

Why not ask him what a fair price is, in his estimation... The seller should be the one to name a price that he thinks is reasonable. That way you can determine whether or not he really wants to sell it or whether he is just shopping around for some estimated value. I made the mistake several times of trying to be "fair" with sellers, who then said "If you think it's worth that much, I'll just keep it." If I had asked for a price, he would have sold it reasonably, but once the offer is out there, it can go many different directions...

"Fair" is also a relative issue... in this day and age, anyone can do initial research on pretty much any item, so if someone is not inclined to do some research, then I am not responsible to do it for them. You are obviously unsure of the value of this machine and many things affect that value, so make him give you an idea of what he thinks it's worth and go from there. You will find one of two things: either he knows nothing about it, doesn't care that much for it and wants to find a good home at a reasonable price OR he already thinks it's worth a fortune and you can't make an equitable negotiation that is good for both of you... Remember, you are trying to be fair, but is the seller also trying to be fair? It goes both ways...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

tictalk
Victor II

Post by tictalk »

I agree with Curt it is always best to have the seller set the price, but to tell you my limited experience with the Grafanola Deluxe, I have owned 4 over the years and still have two one in oak and one in mahogony,20 years ago I sold a nice refinished unit for $10000, 10 years later a fair original for $8000, today I would imagine a average mahogany machine might bring $6000, not so nice $4500-$5500, a nice oak might bring $12000 - $16000

Victrola-nut
Victor O

Post by Victrola-nut »

Hey, thanks very much. I appreciate your candid responses and this gives me some things to consider.

I honestly was looking for current fair market value versus a negotiating strategy. I have not been all that active in the hobby for the past few years, so my access to resources to determine this particular machine's value are limited. I know it is hard to do without actually seeing the machine (i.e. condition, originality, damage/repairs, etc.) all play a role in assessing value, but I was just looking for a "ballpark" for a clean, original machine as I have yet to see it.

I feel pretty confident that your responses give me the range I was looking for.

Thank you both!

Pathe Logical
Victor II

Post by Pathe Logical »

Anyway, what would be a reasonable price for one of these without the music box attachment?
I believe the author of the original post is looking for a value of this machine in the "phonograph only" configuration. Are values really as high as suggested without the music box option?

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

Here is one that sold on the Yankee Trader. http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =9&t=36839
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Victrola-nut wrote:I would like to get a current ballpark value for the Columbia Grafanola "Deluxe" in mahogany. I was contacted by a gentleman that is interested in selling one and want to make him a fair offer. I found that the Talking Machine Illustrated Compendium book has this machine displayed in oak on page 191 and has a estimated value in the back of the book of $10K. I am guessing that this price is somewhat elevated due to when the book was published and the fact that the machine is rarer in oak. There is currently one of these machines listed on Ebay for about $6,700, but I know people sometimes list machines on Ebay well above retail, expecting to strike it rich on one sale.

Did you see the machine, or did he send you any photos? There were several versions of the "Deluxe"; only the first had the "lions' head" cabinet.

Bill