Sonora Phonograph Model Identify & Value

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
ketkorona
Victor Jr

Sonora Phonograph Model Identify & Value

Post by ketkorona »

Hello!

(Sorry for my english.) I bought this Sonora gramophone or phonograph a few days ago. Unfortunately it is not arrived yet, so these pictures are from the ad. If I get it prehaps tomorrow, and if necessary, than I'll do more pictures about it. In my opinion, unfortunately the tone arm and reproducer is not the original (but please refute someone). I found this book in this theme, but it is not contain my model (except if it is on one of the 2 lower cabinet on page 64, or 116).: http://www.antiquephono.org/wp-content/ ... a_Book.pdf

1. I inquire about what is the exactly type of this model,
2. what is the value in this condition (good working condition, it is cleaned, set and the spring was replaced a few years ago).
3. I ask this, because I do not know exactly what kind of sample cover the horn. (I want to cut it from wood.)
4. I also don't know that was it covered with some kind of fabric or not? If yes, what kind of, and where can I order it?
5. The last question is, that how can I fix the front panel to the horn, what was the original method of this? I see 2 hole on the horn bottom.
6. What parts are missing in first look?

Thank you so much!
Regards,
Gábor
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
6.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Sonora Phonograph Model Identify & Value

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Anyone out here could help the OP?

All I can tell is he's got a really nice machine...

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

The tone arm is not a Sonora arm.

Benjamin_L
Victor III
Personal Text: Honk, honk.

Post by Benjamin_L »

estott wrote:The tone arm is not a Sonora arm.
(I think it's a later Philharmonic Sonora tonearm.)

This model's probably after 1926 when Sonora started competing with the Victor Orthophonic.

The holes just look like horn holding screws to me.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I located my one any only Sonora catalog. On the back cover there is a graph that shows the "marvelous" sales growth of Sonora sales staring in 1912 through 1918 so the catalog must have been printed in 1919. If the machine in the original post is for later Orthophonic type machines, my information may be inaccurate.

My catalog shows only one table model Sonora and it was called a Melodie. The cabinet had a width of 17&⅜", height of 16", and depth of 17&⅜". My catalog calls it an Improved Melodie so there must have been a previous version. I will try to add a photo showing the grill of a Sonora Melodie.

The grill fits into the cabinet by first going into the grove in the top of the horn opening and then in the grove at the bottom of the horn opening. I would suggest that measure the opening of the cabinet and cut a piece of cardboard a tiny bit more narrow than the width. Next, make the height slightly higher than the actual height, maybe ¼". You may have to adjust the size of the height but you get it by trial and error.

I don't feel qualified to answer the question of value. A machine that is available in the States may be very uncommon overseas and have a much different value. I can say that I don't recall ever seeing a Sonora table model but being unusual does not always equate into a high value. You have a great looking machine that needs a grill. I hope you enjoy it very much and find or build a grill.

Jerry Blais

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Maybe the grill looks something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/i/263104890087?chn=ps

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

[quote]Maybe the grill looks something like this:
[/quote

Yes, that's the style of the grill. Thanks, Jerry