Cylinder versus disk horns

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
jboger
Victor IV

Cylinder versus disk horns

Post by jboger »

I see far more horns for cylinder players than I do for external horn disk machines. This is true for what I see at local auctions and the occasional flea market. Take a look at the photos of the recent Wayne show (thanks for posting them). I see mostly cylinder machines for sale, and of the horns, most are for cylinder machines. Is that just my personal experience or is this broadly true? If true, I can conjecture why, but I'd like to read what other people have observed first. I'm only considering external horn machines.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Cylinder versus disk horns

Post by phonogfp »

This article on the Antique Phonograph Society's web site answers the question pretty well. Check the sections, "Amplifying Horns" and "Disc-Playing Antique Phonographs."

https://www.antiquephono.org/collecting ... ographs-2/

George P.

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Thank you, Mr. P.

This passage is consistent with what I had conjectured, which is external horn disk machines (front and rear mount) were made for a shorter period of time, their production dates being sandwiched in between the time when cylinders dominated the market and the rise of internal horn disk machines ca. 1906. (Yes, I am aware of the Berliners but they did not dominate the market.) I hadn't realized there was an aftermarket for cylinder horns to replace the small ones that originally came with the machine, but that makes perfectly good sense. These seem to be the two contributing factors.

John

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

jboger wrote:Thank you, Mr. P.

This passage is consistent with what I had conjectured, which is external horn disk machines (front and rear mount) were made for a shorter period of time, their production dates being sandwiched in between the time when cylinders dominated the market and the rise of internal horn disk machines ca. 1906. (Yes, I am aware of the Berliners but they did not dominate the market.) I hadn't realized there was an aftermarket for cylinder horns to replace the small ones that originally came with the machine, but that makes perfectly good sense. These seem to be the two contributing factors.

John
You're very welcome. But keep in mind that Victrolas didn't outsell Victors until 1912 in the U.S., and much later in other parts of the world. External horn disc machines were generally louder in comparison to cylinder machines, so there was little motivation to upgrade a disc machine's horn beyond aesthetics.

George P.