A review of my Columbia 800 Viva-Tonal

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: A review of my Columbia 800 Viva-Tonal

Post by CarlosV »

marcapra wrote: I believe the early editions of the 800 and 810 did not come with shut-off mechanisms, but I have no corroborating evidence to prove this.
Marc, my 810 has an auto-brake, the type with a lever that you need to preset before playing, but I don't know if mine is an early model or not. All the 810s I have seen look identical.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Here are some pics of my rare Columbia Viva-Tonal Paul Whiteman "Potato Head" model 800 in walnut. Since the 810 had painted decorations on its mahogany cabinet, the Potato Head 800 model did also, minus the flowers, with the colors mimicking the Potato Head label and sleeve. Regarding sizes of the big three Orthophonic type phonographs of the mid 1920s, the largest in size and weight is the Columbia Viva-Tonal 800 and 810; then the Victrola Credenza; and smallest is the Brunswick Cortez.
Attachments
P1010047.JPG
P1010051.JPG
P1010050.JPG
P1010049.JPG

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

But where is the potato and the head? Inside?
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Yes, George the Potato Head is inside. Forgot the to take a picture of that. I'll show that tomorrow, so stay tuned. Marc.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

I just finished competing my collection of the "big three" this past Winter when I found an 810 on Facebook Marketplace. I agree with everyone here, the 800 / 810 is by far the biggest and heaviest! Two of us struggled to haul it up my front steps. I like how each has it's own sound. When I sealed the horn on my 810 and got the reproducer back from a rebuilt by Wyatt (MicaMonster), I was astounded. Of the "big three" (Credenza, Cortez, 810), I play the 810 by far the most. I'm hoping this winter to finally get around to finish cleaning the cabinet, it spent 50-60 years in a somewhat damp basement, so it was filthy. One initial cleaning made a huge difference, but I'm far from done. My 810 also has the automatic brake, for what it's worth.

Sean

marcapra
Victor V

Post by marcapra »

Sean, Since you had the reproducer, Columbia #15, rebuilt by Wyatt, it must really sound great! I had him do my Orthophonic rep. for my 8-9 last summer and the sound is awesome! I believe my rep. for my Columbia 800 was rebuilt by Uncle Vanya and it sounds great too. Marc.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Indeed, Wyatt made a new flange, replaced the gaskets and adjusted. When he was last at my place, I put on an early 30s Orthophonic and then a viva tonal Columbia and he stood there smiling. I guess that means he was impressed too!

Sean

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

OrthoSean wrote:Indeed, Wyatt made a new flange, replaced the gaskets and adjusted. When he was last at my place, I put on an early 30s Orthophonic and then a viva tonal Columbia and he stood there smiling. I guess that means he was impressed too!

Sean
The "expert" opinion in the past was that these were never up to the quality of Victor, and were bad for records.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

estott wrote:
OrthoSean wrote:...The "expert" opinion in the past was that these were never up to the quality of Victor, and were bad for records.

I remember when I first started out in the hobby back in the late 1970s, that was the general opinion. One collector told me that any larger Viva Tonal cabinet model should be avoided at all costs, since the horns were poorly designed, and did not follow a true exponential curve, and could not reproduce bass properly, blah, blah, blah...

I think, today, more care is taken to inspect and restore the Viva Tonal horns--as has long been done with the Victor Orthophonic models--sealing fittings and seam gaps, etc., in addition to simply overhauling the sound boxes and motors. (Most of the Viva-Tonal models I've listened to were as-found, and didn't impress me, but I'm sure a carefully restored Viva-Tonal would favorably compare to any similar size Victor Orthophonic.)

OrthoFan

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Well, before I sealed the horn on my 810, it sounded weak at best. Very quiet and "thin". The horn on mine had so many gaps and joints that were open, I couldn't believe it. Two nights and nearly two tubes of clear silicone caulk later and the difference was astounding.

Sean