Playing an Edison disc on a victor?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
ts_13
Victor II

Playing an Edison disc on a victor?

Post by ts_13 »

A guy here at work has a conversion to play Edison discs on a victor. He has a needle with a diamond stylus on the end, and a reproducer that fits the tone arm in a vertical orientation.

My question, has anyone ever seen these needles? I would love to try this as well.

jmad7474
Victor I
Personal Text: "Don't Deny Yourself the Sheer Joy of Orthophonic Music"

Re: Playing an Edison disc on a victor?

Post by jmad7474 »

Yes, many of these do exist and were made by after-market companies so people could play Edison discs on one phonograph without steel needles (literally) cutting up the grooves. I have seen only one in person, though, and while I think it was a useful device back in the day, they suffer from two major problems:

1.) Edison discs, because of their fine grooves, are best played through a reproducer with a feedscrew to minimize the side-to-side stylus thrust on the groove walls. These attachments obviously have no mechanism to help propel the tonearm forward when playing an Edison disc, so the result is greatly increased groove wear compared to the same record being played on an Edison DD machine; and

2. Edison machines (well, most of them in the US) came with a volume knob that moved a cloth ball in and out of the horn to modulate the loudness of a record being played. Unless these attachments are used on a Victrola (with volume doors attached to the cabinet), there is no way to control the playback volume - and I have noticed most Edison discs tend to play either pretty quiet or super loud when played on non-Edison machines.

As a collector's item, they are useful for playing Edison DDs that are already in worn condition and that are not particularly valuable. But do NOT play your best records with them - save those for a modern turntable or for an Edison machine in proper working condition.

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Here are some pictures of the DD adapter I purchased from Ken (Polyphone) in late June. It needed a total rebuild and it was trial and error (mostly error) getting the link the right length-- But it now plays loud and clear.
I currently have it mounted on my Vic II Humpback.

I agree with jmad7474-- There is no lateral movement other than the normal side-to-side you'll get with a Victor arm, so I don't plan to play "Greetings From Bunch at Orange" on it :) And the weight of the U-tube and reproducer is likely more than than a DD reproducer weight---(I could weigh it but I'm lazy!) But it does give a way, albeit imperfect, to play a DD on a 78 machine.
If anyone knows who made this reproducer, I'd appreciate the information.

Thanks!

Brad Abell
Attachments
DSCN2728.JPG
DSCN2728.JPG (136.84 KiB) Viewed 1258 times
DSCN2729.JPG
DSCN2729.JPG (137.26 KiB) Viewed 1258 times
DSCN2731.JPG
DSCN2731.JPG (136.18 KiB) Viewed 1258 times

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

It looks like a Claravox or Jewel. I've not seen a black one like that. I have a couple but they are nickel.

I would agree that they're not as good, (mine aren't anyway) as a diamond disc reproducer and more importantly, if you play one, it voids the warranty on your Edison record, accoring to the warning on the Edison jacket. :lol:

ts_13
Victor II

Post by ts_13 »

Here is what he has. The reproduce is turned bit more importantly the needle has a pointed diamond stylus on the end.
Attachments
20181017_211642.jpg

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

His adaptor isn't period at all--it's a bit of copper plumbing elbow and an old Cheney lateral reproducer re-oriented, with an old diamond-tipped needle installed.

Copied most likely from Benjamin J the Victrola Guy...who seems to be a bit too fast and loose with his repairs, though he is a phonographic genius.

ts_13
Victor II

Post by ts_13 »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:His adaptor isn't period at all--it's a bit of copper plumbing elbow and an old Cheney lateral reproducer re-oriented, with an old diamond-tipped needle installed.

Copied most likely from Benjamin J the Victrola Guy...who seems to be a bit too fast and loose with his repairs, though he is a phonographic genius.
I know they guy at work had bought it from a man who made the elbow. I just had not thought of a way that this could be done. And the diamond stylus was a new one for me. I have seen Pathé' stylus which are round, but never a pointed one.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Silvertone used to sell a pair of jeweled styli with their machines--one diamond pointed for Edison and one ball-tipped for Pathé. This much I gleaned from eBay ads...

It's a nifty adaptation, I suppose--wonder how it sounds?

ts_13
Victor II

Post by ts_13 »

I just got home from work and played it! He let me borrow it for a day or two. I really do not have anything to compare it to, BUT I think it sounds good! If I can get something like this it will allow me to at least play some DD's. I set it up on my Vic1 and it was loud. I need to get something like this. WHere did you see the stylus?

T

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I've seen pictures of old Silvertone machines with the little metal plaque near the needle bowls marked "Edison" and "Pathé." You might be able to build your own with a simple reproducer, a copper pipe, and a stylus...similar have been sold on the Yankee Trader here, I think.

Matter of fact, I have a stack of DD's and a big stack of old Pathé's--even a record by Rube Goldberg himself--that I can't play, so I might build one eventually if I can't find a vintage one.

I wonder how a 1940s portable reproducer would do--the mock-Orthophonic variety? They don't weigh anything and are cheap as chips.