What to know before buying a GEM

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
winduphere
Victor I

What to know before buying a GEM

Post by winduphere »

I have been looking for an Edison GEM and see alot of variations. I am particulary interested in a black GEM and see some on the internet. A few have pot metal pulleys and pieces broken off. What should i be aware of when making a purchase? It is also important for there to be a crane hole. What size horn then is used?
I want a nice running machine and not a dust collector...
Thank You!

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: What to know before buying a GEM

Post by Jerry B. »

If I were buying a Gem for the first time I would probably look for a Model B Gem. I believe the Model A Gem, particularly the early examples, were rushed into production to compete with the Columbia Q. The B Gems were much better from a performance aspect. The Gem B has a hole for a crane to support the Gem Morning Glory horn. The later B has a slightly larger hole for a more robust crane but either is fine. I personally use a Gem B with 2&4 minute gearing for use at family gatherings so it is possible to find one that performs well. But I suspect many would argue that you get a Gem to work fairly well and then place it on the shelf to look at it and play a more substantial model.

Jerry Blais

MicaMonster
Victor III
Personal Text: Never Settled

Post by MicaMonster »

I’ll add to what Jerry said, by mentioning that the pulleys are easily found as replacement parts. With ANY GEM that crosses my workbench, I do the following:

1. Check pulley for wobble.
2. Replace mainspring (ALWAYS)
3. Oil all bearing points, and grease gears)
4. Install a new drive belt.

I love GEMS. The curse of the GEM is that they weren’t easily user serviceable (you had to remove 4 screws to access motor), so a lot of them tend to have excessive gear wear. BUT THEY ARE GREAT MACHINES. They were made in great number, so the chances of finding a good playing one with little to moderate gear wear still exists.

Changing a spring in one isn’t a walk in the park, because the spring is confined by the motor cage, and not a spring barrel.

Good Luck In Your Search!!!!

W
-Antique Phonograph Reproducer Restorer-
http://www.EdisonDiamondDisc.com
Taming Orthophonics Daily!

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

Many of us enjoy a good project. I would always be cautious when considering the purchase of an incomplete Gem A. There were many major factory modifications with design changes so many parts are not interchangeable.

Jerry B.

dutchman
Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

I thought my $25 GEM C would get at least some mention, had the spring replaced and, as Jerry B said, played it a few times and it now resides on top of my big Pathé
:). They are nice machines. Bill K

Marty Bufalini
Victor II

Post by Marty Bufalini »

I play my (maroon) Gem fairly frequently and love it! I think it's user-friendly. But, now you guys have me wondering about replacing the main spring, which I have never done.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

you guys have me wondering about replacing the main spring, which I have never done.
If it plays through a four minute cylinder the spring does not need replacement. That's about as good as it gets. Enjoy your Gem.

Jerry B.

Marty Bufalini
Victor II

Post by Marty Bufalini »

It does play a 4 minute all the way through. Thanks, Jerry.

winduphere
Victor I

Post by winduphere »

The paint on the Gems appears to be kinda thick. Is it possible to have an original machine with
Missing or worn decals, cleaned, preped ,and restriped without doing a repaint?

winduphere
Victor I

Post by winduphere »

With the gem paneled horn, I think it's 19".
What type of connector between the reproducer and horn was used? Will it be the commen rubber tube or something else?