Oak 1912 Victrola VV-XIV Questions

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
andyjon100
Victor I

Oak 1912 Victrola VV-XIV Questions

Post by andyjon100 »

Hello, I'm a newbie to the forum, although not to mechanical phonographs (I have a Brunswick 200 and a Columbia Grafonola). I'm a radio guy that has become the somewhat reluctant owner of said Victrola. It's easier and much shorter to direct you to the thread on ARF to tell the story of how I came to possess it - http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtop ... 9&t=347077. I never intended to have a whole machine, as beautiful as it is - I initially bought the motor to pass on to another member (we obviously agree that we aren't going to separate the machine now). It's missing the portion of the tonearm from the pivot to the reproducer, as well as the reproducer, the spent needle cup, the lock escutcheon,the crank, and the record rack assembly underneath. Can anyone tell me what I'm facing locating these parts? I see a few gold tonearms on feepay, but will any front portion fit? I want to keep the section I have - the paint and striping on the bracket are perfect. I also see a few odd female threaded cranks, but was the original crank gold, too? The part that concerns me is the record rack.
Thank you in advance!
Andy
Attachments
1a.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
11.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
10.jpg
9.jpg

Oceangoer1
Victor III
Personal Text: "I dreamt of Paris again last night"-Roger

Re: Oak 1912 Victrola VV-XIV Questions

Post by Oceangoer1 »

Oh my gosh! You certainly scored big on this one. The early Queen Anne version of the XIV is quite rare. It is more rare in oak, and even more rare in the dark oak finish that yours has. This certainly is a very worthy machine for restoration.

I read the thread on the ARF, and I am thrilled to hear that you eventually got to the cabinet, because this is a very very nice phonograph.

People with more experience with this model will chime in with what you need, but congrats on finding this machine! :D

(I used to own a dark oak Queen Anne XIV very briefly. Same version and similar finish as yours!)

-Connor

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

Perhaps you can contact Ron Sitko. His telephone number is in the Links Section of the forum. He may have the parts you need. It is a very nice Victrola!

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

WOW! :shock: That is one beautiful machine, and one of my all time favorites. Congrats and good luck. Hopefully some knowledgeable forum members will soon be here to help you out.

-Travis

andyjon100
Victor I

Post by andyjon100 »

It cleaned up very nicely, considering it was jammed in the corner of a grungy garage, under a pile of scrap metal. I had to use a broom handle to lift the lid enough to get a peek inside it initially. I was worried it was really trashed because the guy is a scrapper, and all that metal was piled against it. I think what may have helped was there was a lot of aluminum flashing, gutters, downspouts - light weight stuff. It does wear some small scars, but if you'd have seen it in it's environment - it's nothing short of a miracle. Couple that with the damage the dampness in that garage could have done....

Cody K
Victor III

Post by Cody K »

Just adding to the chorus of WOW! -- Connor's observations are spot-on, it's a very desirable phonograph even in mahogany, but all the moreso in the version you've found. Congratulations on your remarkable find, and for having the persistence to follow up despite the seller's goofiness. I don't think it'll be very difficult to locate the missing parts. The suggestion to contact Ron Sitko is a good one, and there's always eBay. But I won't be surprised if some forum members pop up to assist in the resurrection of this fine machine.

Without your persistence, this would very likely have been a goner. Well done! I hope you'll enjoy it for many years to come. (And I hope other forum members will take a moment to look at your link to the very interesting story about how you came to own it...)
"Gosh darn a Billiken anyhow."- Uncle Josh Weathersby

ColoradoPhonograf
Victor II

Post by ColoradoPhonograf »

Congrats on finding and saving this nice Queen Ann XIV. I have a similar machine (the same one Conner made reference to) serial # 9304. Yes, the crank should be gold. Here are a couple of photos of the record storage rack in the lower compartment. These photos are from a mahogany Queen Ann XIV I used to own. Most of those secondary wood pieces were made from poplar wood and then stained to match the exterior finish.
DSCN0688.JPG
DSCN0692.JPG
D. Edwards

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I remember the remains of a record storage rack in my attic. I located it and it's mahogany and only goes to sixteen so it must be from an early VV-XI. Upon examination it does not look like it would be too difficult to replicate one for an oak XIV. It looks to be made of common wood and stained to match.

Jerry Blais

ColoradoPhonograf
Victor II

Post by ColoradoPhonograf »

Here is a photo of the appropriate crank. 7 ½" length with a 4" offset. With Oak knob.
1540069502376433236809.jpg

andyjon100
Victor I

Post by andyjon100 »

I tested the motor today. It obviously needs service, but I wound it up - and it ran...and ran...and ran....The speed control works as it should :D