Back to Basics with a Victrola IV

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jwb88
Victor II

Back to Basics with a Victrola IV

Post by Jwb88 »

Forgive me if this is boring or sentimental but it’s a boring rainy day and I thought I might share my latest acquisition: a 1917 Victrola IV—the one produced during the war with no grille or slats over the horn. I've always sort of wanted one since I learned they existed. They don’t seem very rare and I’ve seen a few. I made a very low offer on one that I found for sale and the seller took it. I was a little surprised, but then it was in terrible condition, filthy, and needed quite a bit of attention.

Fixing it up over the course of a week was extremely rewarding and it sort of brought me back to basics in this hobby. It’s about as simple as a Victrola gets, yet still of very good quality and design, and there’s something wholesome about that. Other than needing new springs on the reproducer (one was broken), it was complete. It also needed a new rubber back flange but I unexpectedly found one in my parts bin (I have no idea why. I love having spare parts I bought and forgot about).

It was just standard work: the arm and reproducer were the nastiest, filthiest parts I’ve ever encountered while still retaining good plating underneath. Felt got cleaned, and while it looks okay, it’s got moth spots, so I am using it with a new thin felt “toupee” over the old to preserve it/look better. The motor was gross but after cleaning it was in great shape. Some brilliant handyman took the stripped out crank escutcheon and mounted it backwards with new holes (special place in Hell for that person, I think) but it was a pretty easy fix to plug all the holes.

After rebuilding the reproducer, I’m really happy with how good it sounds. I honestly think the lack of grille/slats makes for a more direct sound that I like. One thing I found fascinating is that, even though I thoroughly cleaned and regreased the mainspring, the motor would slow when playing worn records (especially Columbia Blue/gold labels) UNTIL I rebuilt the reproducer with new gaskets and springs. Amazing what a difference a proper rebuild can make. I haven’t had it slow on any records now.

So anyway, yes, it’s a simple little Victrola IV—but it was fun getting it running again. The kind of machine you take on a canoe, I think :lol: . As it is, it’ll come out in the backyard when the weather is right. I had one great weather day to enjoy it out there before it got cold again. It's pouring rain at the moment.

Any simple/common machines that particularly bring you joy? Fixing them up sure beats a jigsaw puzzle (no disrespect to the jigsaw community).
Attachments
VV-IV-1.jpg
VV-IV-2.jpg
VictrolaIVMotor-1.jpg
VictrolaIVMotor-2.jpg
VictrolaIV-1.jpg
VictrolaIV-3.jpg
VictrolaIV-2-.jpg
VictrolaIV-2-nobackground1.png
VictrolaIVcrank.jpg
VictrolaIVOutside.jpg

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Re: Back to Basics with a Victrola IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

Beautiful transformation! That would be a lot of fun outdoors on a sunny day.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Good thing I don't have the Victrola and the vintage lawn chair...I'd be about useless!

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

I really hate to admit that chair is from Ikea. I tried to find an old one, then thought of making one--and then this was at Ikea last summer and the price looked a lot better than trying to make one, LOL.

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

Beautiful... I bet that motor is quiet with that later motor. By 1917-1918, the motors had a better quieter design. I like the little VV IV nice small size with great sound.

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

That's true, yes, the motor is pretty quiet. And makes it through a 12" record, so who could complain at this size/price?

Since taking the photos I was able to lighten some of the dark spots using wood bleach in the form of Bar Keeper's Friend. It didn't remove them, but they're substantially lighter, and it didn't seem to hurt the finish.

gsphonos
Victor II

Post by gsphonos »

It looks great! You outdid yourself, as usual, on an albeit humble little machine. What's your next project?

Mike

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

LOL, thanks Mike. This one required no refinishing, thankfully.

I really want to refinish my Fireside because it's got a bad refinish as it is, but it's so hard to open that can of worms if I don't have to, LOL.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

When I saw the first photo with the doors wide open my first thought said the little Victrola was reaching out to give you a hug. :D

Jerry B.

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

That's my style of thinking, Jerry!
Attachments
I wuv u.jpg