Victrolita (Victrola) 1-1

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
hexaphone
Victor II

Victrolita (Victrola) 1-1

Post by hexaphone »

I just picked up a Victrola 1-1 with single spring "pancake" style motor. I understand these are not powerhouse players, but this one will not run through even one 10 inch record all the way. It will play the smaller 6" and/or 7" records completely, but not anything larger.

Question: Is the spring worn down and should be replaced or should I try to tear it down, clean, and regrease the spring? Everything else is oiled up fairly well. This thing just doesn't have any stamina.

Thanks
Ron

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Victrolita (Victrola) 1-1

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I would do a teardown and a meticulous motor rebuild first. If there's no stamina improvement, then a new spring would help. I swapped springs on a Victrola 2-65 Portable and have been able to play a couple records on one winding--only a week or so ago did I learn that 2-65s generally are underpowered!

New mainsprings. They're awesome!

hexaphone
Victor II

Post by hexaphone »

Thanks! I'm going to take that advice and replace the spring. I'm sure this motor hasn't been serviced in over 90 years. I'm hoping to get it set for another 90 and a new spring may just help that objective!

Ron

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

hexaphone wrote:Thanks! I'm going to take that advice and replace the spring. I'm sure this motor hasn't been serviced in over 90 years. I'm hoping to get it set for another 90 and a new spring may just help that objective!

Ron
Ron it almost sounds as if the spring broke at one time and someone repaired it by shortening it. I had a Zon O Phone Home years ago that was the same way. Replaced the spring and it zipped through a loud 10" record just fine!
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

If I were going to all the work to tear down and service, I'd replace the spring as part of the effort. Of course this advice is coming from someone that does not enjoy replacing springs. :)

Jerry B.

hexaphone
Victor II

Post by hexaphone »

Yeh, I'm thinking that replacing the spring is the best bet to take care of things once and for all. I'm not a "spring guy". I still like my fingers and hands ;) I am now in the process of searching out someone for this job. I contacted George Vollema. Anyone else in the midwest worth checking in with? I have been trying to get hold of Ron Haring, but no reply.

Thanks
Ron