Victrola 8-7 wheels

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
catfishjohn
Victor O

Re: Victrola 8-7 wheels

Post by catfishjohn »

You might try searching ebay for "vintage derby wheels". Not exact but similar. I'm not sure what diameter you need but there are several sizes available.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Vintage-Offi ... :rk:6:pf:0
Attachments
derby.jpg

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Great, now we can have Victrola races. :o

Jerry B.

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Post by GregVTLA »

Jerry B. wrote:Great, now we can have Victrola races. :o

Jerry B.
:lol::lol: that would be something!

GregVTLA
Victor III

Post by GregVTLA »

Happy New Year everyone! I'm happy to report that I got the parts I needed for Christmas, so I've spent some time this break working on setting the veneer back down and further cleaning the finish. I'm very happy thus far!

GregVTLA
Victor III

Post by GregVTLA »

Photos:

A big thanks to EarlH who tipped me off about the listing.
Attachments
AF3090EC-84C6-414A-BC6D-EFAE2D566FF2.jpeg
D4DE8C8C-8057-4261-8393-438512770041.jpeg

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

What a handsome machine. I would not change that tonearm patina in the slightest.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

This motivates me to get working on my 8-8 and get it into the house. There is currently a machine on wheels in here, a 9-40 on a large 4-wheel flat dolly, but it’s still kinda hard to wheel it from room to room.

As Dr. Blais will attest, 9-40s on only two wheels are less than optimal.

I’ll soon tell THAT story on a separate thread.

GregVTLA
Victor III

Post by GregVTLA »

Thanks for the kind words! The 8-8 is also a really nice machine, and might be worth being featured in a topic of its own. I’m sure the 9-40 is quite heavy on wheels!

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Considering shipping it to the moon, where it will be a bit more manageable, although it won’t sound as good.

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

Victor sure picked out some nice quarter sawn oak for that cabinet, didn't they? It's a nice looking machine Greg. I think you did good on that one.

As far as those HUGE electrolas go, "Weight means tone!" I read that in an old radio ad a long time ago. I have a couple of stripped out 9-40 cabinets around here and use one as a work bench. Man that stuff is heavy. My Dad's step-grandmother owned the Vance Music Company here in town and her son Bill, that married my Dad's mother was talking to me about how they sold pianos, Victrolas and the like back when he was young and they did feel that weight meant quality. He told me once, "If you don't know anything else about a piano go lift up one end of it. If it feels like they screwed it to the floor, it's a good one!" Bill was a funny guy. He also was really impressed with the orthophonic machines. Especially the one's that were "big enough to take a bath in the horn..."

I usually take a sheet of plywood and put some castors under it for those large machines. For $25 it makes them a lot easier to handle. And put some strips of wood on the corners so you don't push the thing off the top of it. Good luck with your projects. Most of the projects I get tangled up in end up being way more time consuming than I thought they would be. Oh well. Earl.