Edison Amberola cabinet w/B-250 guts another "X" marking

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: Edison Amberola cabinet w/B-250 guts another "X" marking

Post by fran604g »

Gary, I apologize for not addressing your question on adding this to the A/B250 database. In my humble opinion, it's more an Amberola I than a diamond disc phonograph just because of the dataplate; so nah, I don't think it needs to be added.

If any more of these machines turn up, we'll need a "sticky" post to keep them all in one place for future reference! :)

Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

DGPros
Victor III
Personal Text: Gary

Post by DGPros »

Thanks Fran, yes i agree on the sticky post. That was one of the reasons i linked the others. Easier to compare and contrast.
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

DGPros
Victor III

Post by DGPros »

fran604g wrote: To me, it just looks as if an outer frame of larger dimensions was added to the existing III/150 grille to fit the larger Amberola I horn opening -- instead of the slightly smaller "frame" that would've been originally used.

The earliest 2-spring governor that I've observed had a slot milled into the governor sleeve, mated to a roller bearing fastened with a precision machine screw to the governor shaft -- thereby creating a "shock-proof" governor...meaning the start and stop torsional effects of the weights were less likely to cause bending and distortion to the governor weight springs and creating undesirable speed fluctuations to the motor.

I notice yours has 2 hemispherical weights; does it also have the roller bearing and milled governor sleeve?

I don't know how you manage to find these "gems", but kudos for finding them!

Best,
Fran
I had forgotten that I have a B-150 with grill. :roll: It looks like you nailed both of these. The 150 grill seems to have been shaved on the left and right side and a border added to fit in. (using up leftover stock was my initial thought, and this seems to help that thought along)

And I believe this is the "shock proof" governor.

Also the horn is the large black 250 12"H 17"w

How do I find them? I think they're finding me! :lol: My girlfriend is getting used to me saying "something looks off on this machine. I probably won't buy it, but I have to get a closer look. Of course it usually follows me home. ;)
Attachments
2018-10-24 16.51.31.jpg
2018-10-24 17.32.12.jpg
2018-10-24 16.50.15.jpg
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Gary, is it at all possible the "9" on the data plate (X96) is actually a "7", and correlates to the stampings on the cabinet? Just shootin' from the hip here. Also, could you post a better photo of the dataplate for us, please?

Best,
Fran
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

DGPros
Victor III

Post by DGPros »

Ooops, sorry, I thought I posted an image of the dataplate. No its a 9. I looked very closely for any irregularity. It was the same thought I had. You'll notice the March 11, 1913 also
Attachments
2018-10-20 13.37.12.jpg
Frederic Bastiat

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Ah, thanks Gary.

Fran