Pot metal bearing removal (ICS Model C)

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
edisonclassm
Victor II

Re: Pot metal bearing removal (ICS Model C)

Post by edisonclassm »

I guess I had better chime in on this one. I recently bought a model-D home off eBay where someone in the past had done a sloppy repair of the bearing and mangled everything up in the process. The mandrel is beat up and scratched up as well as the belt pulley being mangled. I've been doing these for years(countless numbers)and have found a pretty good way to get the shaft out without mangling everything up. Loosen and remove all of the screws on the upper belt pulley as well as the feed screw collar at the bearing side of the feed screw. The mandrel is put on with a press fit so by getting a good grip on it and twisting back an forth as well as pulling on it at the same time it should come off with the shaft still being stuck in the bearing. If it is a bit resistant use a couple of drops of penetrating oil to assist in the removal. Then mount your bedplate in a vise taking care to protect the paint with sheet rubber (inner tube rubber will do) and flat pieces of wood. Make sure it is very secure. I then take a quality electric drill with a good strong motor and clamp the shaft in the chuck as you would a drill. Make sure you tighten it very very securely. I would also recommend a couple of drops of penetrating oil at the bearing as well. Then squeeze the trigger on the drill to full and pull hard as the shaft extracts out of the bearing. Some of these are easier than others. I have had them so tight it made the drill motor smoke. If done correctly the shaft will come out and no damage will be done to the shaft in the process. The bearing can then be pressed out or carefully chipped out using a small chisel.

edisonclassm
Victor II

Post by edisonclassm »

Another way to remove the bearing is to use a coping saw and carefully saw two slots 180 degrees apart from each other along the length of the bearing. It should then fall out

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

For anyone wondering, I got the shaft and bearing out! I use the drill method, and it worked perfectly. I had put the bedplate on its side and refilled the bearing hole with wd-40 a few times a day. It "soaked into" the bearing. I then attached the bedplate to a workbench (using towels to protect the paint) and attached the end of the shaft to a dril. The shaft spun in the bearing. I pushed in a bit, and pulled back out all the way. All that was left was the bearing, which is easy to chip off. Thank you guys for the help!

Martin