A New Find--- "in the wild"

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
85corvetteman
Victor O
Personal Text: Vic II, Vic III, Schoolhouse, VV 8-4, VV-130, VV-280, VE-XVI, VV-VIII, VV-IV, VV-VI, Credenza

Re: A New Find--- "in the wild"

Post by 85corvetteman »

Great find !!!. There’s a good article on dinosaurdiscs.com about the universal and induction motors by Mr Ron Pendergraft.
Look In Issue #5. Sorry I can’t get links to work from my iPad. I have a VE-XVI and I found the article very informative.

Terry

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

That was an extremely nice surprise... following up on sightings can lead to some fantastic finds as you now know... I sent an email, but in case you didn't get it, there is a great source for cloth covered wire and other parts in Ohio that I have used and recommend: www.vintagewireandsupply.com
Good luck with the motor, but at least it is one that you might be able to find somewhere if you can't get it running, unlike a Fairy Phonograph motor...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Thanks Terry!! I'm embarrassed. I have never heard of the Dinosaurdisc.com site. What an incredible resource! I love seeing all the APMs and New Amberola Graphics. I started collecting in 1976 and those were my go-to publications. No internet back then. We actually had to talk with people and read words printed on paper in order to gain information.

I haven't found the article on the motors yet, but I'm just enjoying the walk down memory lane.

THANKS!

Brad Abell

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Thanks Curt- Yes, I got your email. Thanks--- This will be a new adventure for me- I'm an old dog and this is a new trick, but I'm up for the journey!

Brad

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

Here is the Victrola and 78 Journal #5 in PDF format. Page 14 has the article on Universal Motors...
Attachments
Victrola78Journal#5.pdf
(48.72 MiB) Downloaded 88 times

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Thanks again Curt and Terry. The article will definitely be helpful. The "Automatic Time Stop Shaft & Gear" on my motor are definitely needing attention. I'm ready to jump in and see what I can blow up!

Brad

phonolady
Victor I

Post by phonolady »

Brad, What a great treasure!

That is a machine we have always wanted to add to the collection.

Be sure to tell Gene about it if you have not already and tell him we said hello.

All the best,

David & Lerria in Dallas

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Thanks David & Lerria- Good to hear from you- Yes- Before I even went home from picking it up, I went straight over to Gene's to show him the machine :) He's slowing down quite a bit and his wife just got home yesterday from 3 months in rehab after a fall. At 93 & 96 years old, they are doing quite well though. I stop by a couple times a week to check on them and chat a while. Gene is still working on machines :)

Brad

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

Brad,
It seems obvious that the commutator and brushes need attention. The commutator should be cleaned and I would buy new brushes to replace the old ones. The problem you will have, if the Universal motor doesn't just start right up, is finding someone who is willing and competent to work on it. If, for example, it needs rewinding then it will be very hard to find anyone who will take that on and if they do, it will be expensive. You might consider a period upgrade to the disc motor, if you can find one or a downgrade back to a windup motor. I had those same problems with the universal motor in my Fairy Lamp, but finally found someone to rewind it after months of searching...

My Wife

Victor VII
Victor I

Post by Victor VII »

What a spectacular machine! Congratulations on your fantastic luck! Just as fortunate that this holy grail piece can be brought from an uncertain future back into the collector community where it will be cared for and enjoyed.

Further confirms my last post that a lot of Circassian XVIII's were bought by people who would spend the premiums both for the upgraded finish and the more modern electric motor. I have been fortunate enough to recently purchase an American Walnut XVIII windup myself. Does anyone have a guess how many XVIII's exist in the two walnuts and what amount of each were windup vs electric?