Victrola XVI (Electric Option) Questions

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
cjstoessner
Victor O
Personal Text: James-Gail Co.

Victrola XVI (Electric Option) Questions

Post by cjstoessner »

Hello everybody! I am going through my inventory of antique music machines and just got the plug replaced on my XVI Electric today. The light works but the motor doesn't... This is a little out of my area of expertise. I noticed there is a wealth of info available on repairing spring driven machines but not so much on these electric versions.

Does anybody have recommendations of any repair companies that could tackle this or trouble shoot for me? I am in NC, by the way.

I flipped the switch to get the turntable going and nothing happened, no sparks (LOL), no humming, nothing at all.... maybe something simple? Any expertise or pointers would be appreciated.

It's a beautiful machine, definitely worth a little time and effort in my humble opinion.

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
I am referring to the BIG one on the left for this particular post...
I am referring to the BIG one on the left for this particular post...
Victrola XVI Tag.jpg
Victrola XVI Open Up Close.jpg
Christopher J. Stoessner
Enthusiast, Collector, Historian
Author of Norfolk's Greatest Home Furnishers: The Story of Phillip Levy & Co. and the Granby Phonograph

Founder
James-Gail Co.
www.james-gail.com

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Re: Victrola XVI (Electric Option) Questions

Post by barnettrp21122 »

If you're able to do a little electrical detective work before sending the motor off for repair, I'd suggest checking the current where the power wires connect to the motor via the bakelite plug.
There's an excellent small motor repair company in West Virginia that I've used three times with fine results. They're fine with these old phonograph motors and they did a nice rebuild of my VE-XVI universal motor. Service was fast and friendly.

Biedler's Electric Motor Repair Inc.
194 Hack Wilson Way
Martinsburg, WV 25401

Phone: 304-263-9995

Good luck with your motor. My VE XVI is one of my daily players!
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

I'm assuming the auto brake also switches the motor off on these, yes? If so I'd look there first.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Post by GregVTLA »

Check the resistor bank in the back to make sure it is set up for 120V AC. If this were configured incorrectly it'd be logical that the light wouldn't work either but you never know. Also check the wires going from the resistor bank to the motor to make sure there are no breaks in the cable.

Greg

cjstoessner
Victor O
Personal Text: James-Gail Co.

Post by cjstoessner »

Some great tips here! Thanks for the advice, I think I have a starting point and a great lead for repair should I need to go that route, due to the replies.