A New Find--- "in the wild"

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
outune
Victor IV

A New Find--- "in the wild"

Post by outune »

The post about the Radio Bonfire comes at a great time for me. We collectors are always thankful when we find things that could have been discarded, but were kept around for no apparent reason.

Late last week a gentleman who I've done work for, told me about a machine he had seen. It was in an old warehouse-type building, in a corner, used as a display piece for the past 50+ years. It was less than 40 minutes from my home.

On Monday I made the short trip and brought home the first and only VV-XVIII I've ever had in 42 years of collecting. And to put it way over the top- It's a VE-XVIII in Circassian Walnut. I've included a few pics after the initial clean up I did.
It needs a good bit of work. There are three dime-to-nickle size veneer chips and the motor feels a bit rough when I turn the shaft by hand. In addition, the top of the lid had suffered some water damage-- not buckled, but the finish is roughed up. The turntable is not correct and the tonearm gold is pretty poor--but I have a nice one in my parts piles. It came with a late "RCA" era Orthophonic Reproducer. I have a few gold Exhibitions so I'll take care of that right away.

I look forward to doing the things I can do-- and I'm sure I will be reaching out on the forum to find members who are familiar with the Universal Motor and the resistor set up. I plan to take my time and enjoy the process. If anyone has any mechanical or finishing tips, my ears are wide open. :)

Thanks-
Brad Abell
Attachments
DSCN2789.JPG
DSCN2789.JPG (148.3 KiB) Viewed 2326 times
DSCN2791.JPG
DSCN2791.JPG (150.83 KiB) Viewed 2326 times
DSCN2790.JPG
DSCN2790.JPG (150.14 KiB) Viewed 2326 times
DSCN2788.JPG
DSCN2788.JPG (149.67 KiB) Viewed 2326 times
DSCN2779.JPG
DSCN2779.JPG (149.19 KiB) Viewed 2326 times
DSCN2796.JPG
DSCN2796.JPG (149.37 KiB) Viewed 2326 times

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Re: A New Find--- "in the wild"

Post by TinfoilPhono »

Amazing!!! It's always wonderful to see that there are still some treasures out there, just waiting to be found.

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

Great find- congratulations!!

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Wow! What a great discovery! It already looks great now, can't wait to see it finished.

Regarding the electric motor, it would be awesome if someone could post "for dummies" instructions how to service such a motor.

Andreas

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Congratulations Brad!

Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Post by phonogal »

WOW! :o :o What a nice find for you. Its beautiful. :D

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

alang wrote:...Regarding the electric motor, it would be awesome if someone could post "for dummies" instructions how to service such a motor.
Andreas
Don't know if this will help, but here are four videos showing takedown and repair of a Victor Induction Disc Motor (not mine) --

Part One -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlfMZUHbuUA
Part Two -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tzZ98V_DNs
Part Three -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZi9cYs9OHM
Part Four -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QsN_H74bIU

HTH,
OrthoFan

gemering
Victor IV

Post by gemering »

Good for you, Brad!!!!

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Thanks "Ortho"-- The videos on the Induction Disc motor may come in handy-- But the motor on the XVIII is the earlier "Universal Motor". I've worked on a couple ID motors over the years, but have never worked on the Universal...I'm a greasy spring kind of guy!
The on/off gearing on mine appears to be locked up or out-of-sync or sumthin'. I haven't had time to look at it closely yet. One "red flag" was finding a carbon motor brush in the needle holder :( I'll find out when I dig a little deeper.
I agree with Andreas. A Universal Motor repair guide for "dummies" would be great!

:)

Brad

tictalk
Victor II

Post by tictalk »

Congratulations Brad , Its nice to know there are still a few rare machines out there waiting to come into the fold. Great Find