Motor Rumble?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
wbaradio
Victor Jr

Motor Rumble?

Post by wbaradio »

I just finished taking down, cleaning the springs, mechanism, and lubricating the two spring motor from my Emerson console. I've installed everything back, calibrated the speed, and played a few records which sound pretty good. The motor has a light rumble when turning, but the rumble completely disappears once the tonearm with needle is applied. I'm assuming the additional drag of the tonearm on the record/turntable takes up the "slack" somewhere in the motor drive mechanism where the rumble disappears.
I've read through much of the subject matter on "rumble" on the forum which usually points to the governor and gear that drives the governor.
Is there specific items I should inspect to eliminate the rumble, or is it just leave well enough alone?

Regards,
Britt

Phonoboy
Victor II

Re: Motor Rumble?

Post by Phonoboy »

Have you checked the play in the governor shaft? One of the governor balls could be out more than the other/s? I hope this helps.
This machine surrounds hate and forces it to surrender-Pete Seeger.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Re: Motor Rumble?

Post by OrthoFan »

Hi Britt:

I agree with Phonoboy, especially if this is a definite vibration you can feel when the turntable spins. It's possible that one of the flat springs holding the ball was replaced at some point and is slightly longer or shorter than the others. (When replacing a broken flat spring, it's a good idea to replace all of them, to ensure that they are all uniform in size and thickness.)

If this is a rumble "sound" or more of a grunting noise, it's possible that this is caused by slight gear wear. Every phonograph or Victrola I've ever owned has emitted some motor noise, which is masked when playing a record.

HTH,
OrthoFan