Where to go with my collection?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Where to go with my collection?

Post by Curt A »

"I think a lot of "us" are ready to downsize, but how low are "we" willing to go (on price)....?"

The answer is simple... as low as you have to go to get rid of them. Otherwise, hang on to them until you are forced to downsize into a one bed room at the nursing home... at that point, you have no choice, but you may not know what's happening to them anyway... It's just stuff and you can't take it with you... You can't make anyone else appreciate them either...

The funny thing about all of this, is that this has probably happened over and over to all the machines we have. Someone bought them new, someone died and left them to someone else, the people who inherited them either cherished them or disposed of them in an estate sale or threw them in the dump or sent them to a scrap drive and on and on and on...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Pete Stratford
Victor II

Post by Pete Stratford »

It is really quite sad the way prices have been falling on some of the larger Diamond Disc machines. Two months ago a friend of mine tried to sell two machines, A model C-450 ( Adam) and a model IU-19 ( Italian Umbrian). After trying to sell them locally with no response he decided to place them in a well know antique auction. These are two very hard to find models that were is excellent condition. The C-450 sold for a bid of $50 and the IU-19 failed to get any bids. The IU-19 was held over until the next antique auction but still failed to get any bids. This auction was in a major city not some low attended country auction. It just shows the lack of interest in this stuff by the majority of the population.

Pete

welshfield
Victor II

Post by welshfield »

I have tended to go in spurts, five to seven years of activity. Then I ponder a few times I got stiffed, harshly treated by people who should know better, and then I just back away, leaving my machines as home decoration. Unfortunately I am at that point now. Hoping in some years to take notice of a neglected machine in the corner and once again turn to it and its brothers.