Edison C-4 questions

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Edison C-4 questions

Post by phonogal »

I'm looking at an Edison C-4 and considering whether it is something to add to my collection. It has not been restored. Is this something worth investing in? Don't know anything about repairs on these? Is there anyone that can repair these and how expensive? What do I need to check or look for if I go see it? Thanks, Jan

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Re: Edison C-4 questions

Post by audiophile102 »

Do a google search and you will find many interesting facts. Here is a link that might interest you. http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =9&t=36524
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

marco
Victor II

Post by marco »

audiophile102 wrote:Do a google search and you will find many interesting facts. Here is a link that might interest you. http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =9&t=36524
According to photos and additional correspondence that I have had with this seller--plus some expert advice from a member who is an expert on them--this C4 is not original as it would have come from the factory. Instead of having the original radio and 3 knob front--it has and Edison R7 radio inside a C4 cabinet. Since all Edison Radios had a phonograph input--I have seen this configuration along with other Edison Radios substituted for the original factory ones. I have never seen any service information that stated that these were factory upgrades--Just Edison Console Radios inside Edison C4 cabinets. Very hard to find an original unmolested one although I keep trying. I only know of one original; and that is $650.00 electronically unrestored. Someone did a bad refinish on it and a couple of the knobs are wrong but the seller won't budge on price. Mark

phonogal
Victor IV

Post by phonogal »

Here are some pictures of the inside of the one I'm looking at. Anything that you can see that looks bad? I know the speaker will need redone.
Attachments
received_195956571295144.jpeg
received_195956571295144.jpeg
received_756102934739391.jpeg
received_1584059338361076.jpeg
received_559485084495931.jpeg
received_598399980575087.jpeg
received_192764971625045.jpeg

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

They are nice looking machines, but I wouldn't pay a premium for one because it's an "Edison" unless you really like the looks of them. This is one I refinished a few years ago, and it looks pretty good. It's really nothing to brag about as far as a radio/phonograph of the era as far as I'm concerned. I was offered one last year that was in pretty nice original condition for $200 and left it sit. The speaker cone was good in that one as well. The "tone control" upgrade was done on that C-4 that I refinished and it does kind of change the tone a little, but it's nothing like a modern tone control that we are used to. Chuck will know much more about these things than I do though. I've only heard a couple of them in person. The power transformer was bad in that one also, and Edison had trouble with those right from the start.

The one that's in the picture came from the original family and it had never played a record. The tone arm on that one will still wrapped in cardboard from the factory with laces tied around the cardboard and to the turntable shaft to keep it from moving! They only used it for the radio, and the guy said he could remember listening to it in the 1950's when he was a kid at his grandparents house. Who knows how those things were sold off when the Edison dealers all evaporated. Probably at great discounts.
Attachments
DSCF0574.JPG

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

phonogal wrote:Here are some pictures of the inside of the one I'm looking at. Anything that you can see that looks bad? I know the speaker will need redone.
From what I can see, it looks like it hasn't been messed with recently. Original wiring is there, tubes were probably changed in the late 30's. Only missing piece I can see is the amp/power supply connector cover, can't see if all the original chassis hold down hooks are there, if they are all there it's a good indication nothing has been worked on under the chassis'. With the tear in the speaker is the grill cloth torn also? The speaker in these should be reconed even if they are intact, the original paper is dry and rigid and the surround is hard as a rock which makes for a very unbalanced (no low end) sound.

A plus would be to find the Light-O-Matic key with the set.

Chuck

phonogal
Victor IV

Post by phonogal »

ChuckA wrote:
phonogal wrote:Here are some pictures of the inside of the one I'm looking at. Anything that you can see that looks bad? I know the speaker will need redone.
From what I can see, it looks like it hasn't been messed with recently. Original wiring is there, tubes were probably changed in the late 30's. Only missing piece I can see is the amp/power supply connector cover, can't see if all the original chassis hold down hooks are there, if they are all there it's a good indication nothing has been worked on under the chassis'. With the tear in the speaker is the grill cloth torn also? The speaker in these should be reconed even if they are intact, the original paper is dry and rigid and the surround is hard as a rock which makes for a very unbalanced (no low end) sound.

A plus would be to find the Light-O-Matic key with the set.

Chuck
Yes the grill cloth is torn too. Where would the key be if it should be there. Is it just loose? Here is a picture of the front.
Attachments
Edison.jpg

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

phonogal wrote: Yes the grill cloth is torn too. Where would the key be if it should be there. Is it just loose? Here is a picture of the front.

It would just be loose, it looks like a small version of the flat key from an Early GEM, Light-O-Matic is stamped on it.

Chuck

marco
Victor II

Post by marco »

ChuckA wrote:
phonogal wrote: Yes the grill cloth is torn too. Where would the key be if it should be there. Is it just loose? Here is a picture of the front.

It would just be loose, it looks like a small version of the flat key from an Early GEM, Light-O-Matic is stamped on it.

Chuck
Thanks for stepping in, Chuck. You are my expert who I referred to. I typed up an update that covered everything you covered but was just repeating your advice. That post failed as my computer crashed. The Light-O-Matic key is the holy grail for this machine and the original manual ads to value, to. If anyone decides to pass on this machine or any other one like it I am still in the market for a 3 knob original. Would have no problem having it picked up and delivered to Chuck. Check my previous post nearly a year ago looking for one. Nothing much was ever offered so I am still looking. I loved the C4's that I used to own and agree with Chuck that a speaker recone is a must. The sound difference was amazing. Again--Best Of Luck and throw me a bone if you decide not to purchase it or if anyone has some new leads for me. Mark Roberts

jukejunkie
Victor I

Post by jukejunkie »

From the photos the radio receiver is correct for a C-4. It was not unheard of to add a tone control by adding a rheostat that and knob with the wiring going to a base ring plate to the output tube. The later Edison Splitdorf radio receivers were gold in color larger and different tube makeup.
Attachments
Edison Light-O-Matic Key
Edison Light-O-Matic Key
Edison R-6 Chassis
Edison R-6 Chassis