Restored Columbia AT, It's Alive!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
ts_13
Victor II

Re: Restored Columbia AT, It's Alive!

Post by ts_13 »

I love the Graphophones.... I know they have their issues but dang they are cool!

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

No pot metal in these Graphophones!

George P.
100_6197 (2).JPG

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Same with my BK--better built than some Edison models!

Bring on the Graphophone revolution!

ts_13
Victor II

Post by ts_13 »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:Same with my BK--better built than some Edison models!

Bring on the Graphophone revolution!
NO! No reason to collect these... send me your old junkers! Hahah

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

Other Hobbies suffer from Pot Metal Woes as well...such as Old Lionel Pre-War Trains...and Old 1950's and earlier Classic cars...

The solutions offered in those hobbies are Reproduction Parts and Frames made in more Moderns Materials. Once painted or Chromed/Nickeled.... You literally can't tell the difference from the Originals. I don't see why the Phonograph hobby would be any different. I'm sure that there is someone out there making old Columbia Pot Metal Parts in Modern Materials....If not, There should be. Today, There's really no excuse for them not to exist. It just takes time to create a master mold...

Some Phonograph parts can be made on Modern CNC machines in aircraft aluminum as well. Anything's better than the old cracked Pot Metal which will eventually self detonate... but if it's Original Pot Metal still in good usable shape...I say use it until it fails..then replace with Repro..

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

NEFaurora wrote: I'm sure that there is someone out there making old Columbia Pot Metal Parts in Modern Materials....

Tony K.
Jean-Paul Agnard has made these parts for many years. Now that he is no longer able, I'm hoping someone will step into the breach.

George P.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Lucius1958 wrote:The main problem I have had with the AT carriage is the screw holes stripping. I've tried some remedies, such as epoxy putty, to restore the threads, but without very much success; I finally had to rely on superglue to hold the screws in for the time being.

Bill
In some cases, threaded inserts work to create new threads. They come in a variety of styles... press in, screw in or pop rivet type inserts. They work in wood or metal and make sense for certain applications...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

This is just for fun... I noticed an optical illusion in the above picture of the Graphophone Grand and the Q. The Q looks huge in front of the GG - - or the GG looks small behind the Q. The two machines are not nearly their relative sizes in that image. Here's the same Q sitting beside a 5" cylinder box for comparison:

George P.
100_6212 (2).JPG