Taking a Machine Apart to Sell Parts

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Marty Bufalini
Victor II

Taking a Machine Apart to Sell Parts

Post by Marty Bufalini »

Someone named "hrmiller" has a Triumph Model A for sale on Ebay that seems to have been disassembled and is being sold for parts!
Now, I'm not against free enterprise and anyone can do anything they want with their stuff, but this just seems to be a real shame to me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Edison-Phonogr ... SwXmpb013X

See "other items" for the rest of the machine.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Taking a Machine Apart to Sell Parts

Post by Jerry B. »

I think most members on this Forum would discourage parting out a complete or nearly complete machine. I looked at the eBay item and the rest of the Triumph parts sold by that seller. Judging by the terminology the seller used I suspect that person is not familiar with talking machines. If that is true it might have been a daunting task to complete or repair the Triumph and selling parts was a reasonable option.

Not all machines are worth restoring or completing. I have owned incomplete or damaged machines that I parted out. If we all held on to similar projects it would be difficult or impossible to complete a more worthy machine. There is an ethical line in the sand. I would never disassemble and sell parts from a complete and working machine. But for me this is a hobby and it's fun. It's not a business.

Jerry Blais

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

It stinks seeing a machine parted out. But I bet there’s some happy person out there glad they are now getting the part for their Triumph model A That they wanted! Now if only somebody would part out a VV 2-60 with a good tonearm and back bracket...

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Honestly, I don't think they should.

If it's too far gone to restore (i.e., termites or fire) go ahead. However, there are vast stashes of parts out there accumulated in the 1960s through '80s, as well as modern parts. I prefer those rather than ripping apart a good machine.

Now, I am parting out a frankenphone that I was going to fix and pass on to another collector but it's too messed-up to restore so if anyone wants a 1924 Gilbert console cabinet let me know...yours for free.

But I'd never part out a machine that was in any way restorable.