Opera owners, question on shut off bar?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Re: Opera owners, question on shut off bar?

Post by marcapra »

I'm not knowledgeable enough on Operas, Amberola 1B's, or Amberola III's to know that answer. Maybe someone like Uncle Vanya would know?

rodpickett
Victor II

Post by rodpickett »

I have never seen a rubber coating / tip - on the shut-off bar. I assumed the tapered-end was present to help align to the end of the cylinder. Are others tapered at the end?

There were, originally, oil-plug pins / stoppers to cover the oil ports. Someone, perhaps Jerry Madsen, reproduced these many years ago. Following is a photo of an original that I have been attempting to get reproduced, with little success.
Attachments
scan1.jpg
scan2.jpg
scan3.jpg

rodpickett
Victor II

Post by rodpickett »

As an addendum to my previous post, using the Search feature of the APS Archives, I found a 1993 ITG advertisement for reproduction oil plugs for Edison Operas, Amberola 1A's, etc.
Attachments
ITG-1993-07.jpg

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

marcapra wrote:Look at the end of your shut off bar on the left side. You will see how the bar gets skinnier at the end.
Not mine. It's consistent throughout. Mine is super early so maybe they changed the design later?
Attachments
IMG_3815.JPG
IMG_3814.JPG
IMG_3812.JPG

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

I no longer own a School phono but in looking through my saved photos it appears that the one I used to have also lacked any taper.
Attachments
school4.JPG