Help with an ID?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Cooljjay
Victor Jr

Help with an ID?

Post by Cooljjay »

Seller is not very cooperative and before I plunk my money down I would like to know what it is....

Pictures are great but you can see the tone arm and general over view....I am thinking it is vintage and not a repro but could be a mash up of parts?
Attachments
horn.png
horn2.png
horn3.png

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Help with an ID?

Post by Jerry B. »

I believe it's a late Zonophone built when Victor owned Zonophone. Zonophones were marketed to complete with the Columbia line. After all, how could anything compete with a Victor? ;) It's actually a factory marriage of a Victor Junior with a Zonophone back bracket, reproducer, tone arm, and elbow. It may have been assembled to sell as an export. Personally, I think it's a desirable outfit and 100% correct.

Jerry Blais

Cooljjay
Victor Jr

Post by Cooljjay »

Thanks! I knew you guys could ID in a minute...

I guess this is why I was having an issue finding the machine...

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

If I were thinking about buying it I would bring an acoustic record, new needle, and see how it plays.

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Nice machine- I concur with Jerry- late Zonophone... Look carefully at the horn/elbow connection-- In the pic it looks like there is putty or something at that connection-- Look at the type of connection to make sure the horn looks to be correct to the machine. It all looks to be in very nice, restorable condition.

Brad Abell

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

I remember seeing something like this in an old Sears ad. It may be an Oxford?

Cooljjay
Victor Jr

Post by Cooljjay »

outune wrote:Nice machine- I concur with Jerry- late Zonophone... Look carefully at the horn/elbow connection-- In the pic it looks like there is putty or something at that connection-- Look at the type of connection to make sure the horn looks to be correct to the machine. It all looks to be in very nice, restorable condition.

Brad Abell
I know, the seller said that the horn started to come apart and they "repaired" it I have no idea what they used to repair it and how it can be removed...

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Nice machine- I concur with Jerry- late Zonophone... Look carefully at the horn/elbow connection-- In the pic it looks like there is putty or something at that connection-- Look at the type of connection to make sure the horn looks to be correct to the machine. It all looks to be in very nice, restorable condition.
Several of the least expensive Zonophone rear mount machines came with the horn and elbow in a fixed non-swivel position. I suspect the machine in the photo is one with a fixed position horn. I've owned one and it is natural to attempt to move the horn to the left to change the record or needle. It's quite possible that the horn came out of the elbow after such an effort. Jerry Blais

Cooljjay
Victor Jr

Post by Cooljjay »

Jerry B. wrote:
Several of the least expensive Zonophone rear mount machines came with the horn and elbow in a fixed non-swivel position. I suspect the machine in the photo is one with a fixed position horn. I've owned one and it is natural to attempt to move the horn to the left to change the record or needle. It's quite possible that the horn came out of the elbow after such an effort. Jerry Blais

Ah that would explain it! I am sure I could better hide the repair then this but getting that glue separated from the elbow may be a nightmare..

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

The machine is an Oxford sold by Sears. The Oxford was an unmarked late model Zonophone. Since this machine has no Zonophone decal in the front, then it is an Oxford. The elbow and back bracket is correct. It is a pain to change the needle because the elbow is fixed to the bracket, and doesn't swivel. The reproducer is a variation of a Victor Exhibition JR. I'm not sure about the putty for the repair, but I wouldn't let that deter me from purchase. If the machine is under $500.00, I would go after it. These machines are scarce, because they were tossed out when they quit working. Or, they were traded in for a better model. I hope you can get this cheap.
Harvey Kravitz