Help with an ID?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Help with an ID?

Post by Jerry B. »

Harvey, how many versions of the "Oxford" did Sears sell? Weren't they in cylinder format as well and made by Columbia? Jerry

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Jerry, I guess about 7 or 8. The basic one is the one shown in this thread. The fanciest one used a large Mahogany case, three spring motor, swiveling elbow, and a 12 " turntable. Also, a large Mahogany horn. This was to compete with the Victor VI. I have seen more Victor VI, than this Oxford. The Oxford cylinder machines were made by Columbia. There was the BV, BVT, and a version of the BK/BKT. The BK/BKT version used a case similar to the BV, but larger. That was to accommodate the larger 2 spring motor. The larger Oxford version was also a 2/4 min. like the BKT. Later on, the BE/BET, BF/BFT, BG/BGT was also an Oxford, but there was no decal on the case. I believe these were obsolete by Columbia, and sold through Sears to clear them out. Also, these were either 2 or 2/4 min. machines.
Harvey Kravitz
Jerry B. wrote:Harvey, how many versions of the "Oxford" did Sears sell? Weren't they in cylinder format as well and made by Columbia? Jerry

electrolaman 64
Victor II
Personal Text: Look for the Dog

Post by electrolaman 64 »

What they have "repaired' the horn in the elbow with looks like the foaming action of Gorilla glue.

Carlton Smith
Indianapolis, IN
Carlton Smith
Indianapolis, IN

electrolaman 64

Idelia412
Victor Jr
Personal Text: EMG

Post by Idelia412 »

The machine looks straight except the horn. It looks like a Standard A horn or columbia horn. It looks like the horn is glued into the back mount, so the horn to me would be suspect.

Zwebie
Victor IV
Personal Text: We are only the caretakers for future generations.

Post by Zwebie »

Here is the Oxford Ad:
Attachments
OXVicJr.jpg
OXVicJr.jpg (321.69 KiB) Viewed 1041 times

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

And more information can be found on the Intertique website here: https://www.intertique.com/MailOrderMysteries.htm. I do not know the gentleman who created the Intertique website but it is a very good resource for information and I thank him. Ditto for the Victo-Victrola website.

By the way, see if you can talk the seller down below $9.45, I mean, it's used and been repaired after all.