To modify or not to modify (an Edisonic)

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

To modify or not to modify (an Edisonic)

Post by drh »

(a) If one had a nice, original Edisonic Schubert with nice, original finish, would outfitting it with a second spring and LP gearing be sacrilege? The idea being to get the advantage of the large horn for those relatively faint LP discs?

(b) If the answer to (a) is "yes," would disposing of the Schubert; substituting an Edisonic Beethoven, which already has two springs; and outfitting that with the LP gearing be sacrilege?

Thoughts?

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: To modify or not to modify (an Edisonic)

Post by fran604g »

I say, "no, it's not sacrilegious" in either case. The LP gearing was offered as a kit to be installed on earlier phonograph models, and I see no reason why some wouldn't have wanted it on their next gen models.

Just my $.02 :)

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Why not, as long as you're not yanking apart an original LP machine to get your gears...

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

drh wrote:(a) If one had a nice, original Edisonic Schubert with nice, original finish, would outfitting it with a second spring and LP gearing be sacrilege? The idea being to get the advantage of the large horn for those relatively faint LP discs?
Absolutely not. I have an LP kit put away for that specific purpose. Now all I need is the Schubert! :)

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

drh wrote:(a) If one had a nice, original Edisonic Schubert with nice, original finish, would outfitting it with a second spring and LP gearing be sacrilege? The idea being to get the advantage of the large horn for those relatively faint LP discs?

(b) If the answer to (a) is "yes," would disposing of the Schubert; substituting an Edisonic Beethoven, which already has two springs; and outfitting that with the LP gearing be sacrilege?

Thoughts?
I agree - it's an appropriate conversion, and always reversible if you change your mind.

George P.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

And you may remember that I bought an unsold Beethoven from the family of an Arizona Edison dealer. This dealer had obviously bought that LP kit, because I got a new LP reproducer and the Beethoven had already been fitted with the LP mechanism. I also got a bunch of the LP discs which had never sold, and I think the dealer fitted the Beethoven with the mechanism in order to sell them the LP discs. But that buyer never showed up until I came along some 90 years later!

marco
Victor II

Post by marco »

marcapra wrote:And you may remember that I bought an unsold Beethoven from the family of an Arizona Edison dealer. This dealer had obviously bought that LP kit, because I got a new LP reproducer and the Beethoven had already been fitted with the LP mechanism. I also got a bunch of the LP discs which had never sold, and I think the dealer fitted the Beethoven with the mechanism in order to sell them the LP discs. But that buyer never showed up until I came along some 90 years later!
You don't still have any duplicate Edison Long Play discs that you want to sell do you? I have L.P. machines 3 and 4 and have been trying for a while to get a full set of Lp DD's for both of them. Thanks! Mark

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I do have some dupes if you have some great electric DD titles to trade for them.

colmike1
Victor III

Post by colmike1 »

52089 wrote:
Absolutely not. I have an LP kit put away for that specific purpose. Now all I need is the Schubert! :)
I have a Schubert that, if going to a good home, I would sell. Still looking for a horn assemble for the Beethoven I rescued last year.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

OK, thanks for the thoughts, everybody!