Donley Auction This Weekend Nov 16, 17 & 18

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
startgroove
Victor III

Donley Auction This Weekend Nov 16, 17 & 18

Post by startgroove »

For those who missed this auction, here are some of the sale results;

Edison Home Phonograph. Good Condition... 2/4 minute machine, flat carriage with model C reproducer, case has old original finish, 45 degree elbow with 14" black horn, lid has large veneer chip $200

Edison DD W-250 Phonograph. William and Mary Cabinet Style. Overall very good original condition. Very good original walnut finish on the cabinet. Gun metal parts. Displays well. Measures 50" x 20" x 22". $250

Victor VI Phonograph. Nice all original piece with the exception of replaced horn elbow. Original finish on mahogany cabinet in fair condition with some alligatoring. Retains all four gold corners. Original mahogany spear tip wood horn in good condition. All gold tone parts in good condition. Machine winds up and plays. $2700

Edision Fireside Phonograph with Cygnet Horn. 2/4 minute Edison Fireside, model H reproducer (reproduction), original cygnet horn bracket & crane, original horn has been repainted and a new decal, phonograph cabinet has been refinished, new decal, missing lid, motor runs, needs belt. $500

Disc Record Cabinet Mahogany Bow front. Single bow front door with inside needle cups, single shelf interior for albums, old restoration, 33" x 20" x 21". $450

Modernola phonograph lamp, has the distinctive round wooden base cabinet. This phonograph lamp is in extremely good condition, both cosmetically and mechanically. Has older restoration and shade. Very well done. $2000

Burns and Pollock Phonograph Lamp, completely refurbished with custom (professionally made) shade and frame with glass beading and gold trim. Hand crank phonograph that plays and sounds wonderful. Quite the attention getter in any household. Circa 1920. $2600

These prices don't include the Buyer's Premium of 18%, or shipping.

EarlH
Victor III

Re: Donley Auction This Weekend Nov 16, 17 & 18

Post by EarlH »

I kind of wish they would post all the prices on line. Many other auction houses do that, but maybe they have a reason for not doing so.

I was curious about what the coin operated pianos sold for. I met the guy that owned those 35 years or so ago now. I don't remember much about that anymore, but he did have a Berry Wood piano with something resembling street lamps on the front. Some of those coin pianos were sure made to get your attention. Nelson Wiggins pianos are supposed to be pretty nice.
And that school house opera also. Those don't turn up very often, kind of like the Victrola XX's, but maybe even more scarce.

Hopefully, you had a good time there. I need to plan on going to that next year I think.

Thanks for the report now. Earl.

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

Earl, my apology. I should have posted the link. Here is it now: https://www.proxibid.com/asp/Catalog.as ... p=6&sort=0

You can see the selling prices at that site. Keep in mind there was an 18% buyers premium, and another 5% if you bid online.

Russie

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

[quote="startgroove"]Earl, my apology. I should have posted the link. Here is it now: https://www.proxibid.com/asp/Catalog.as ... p=6&sort=0

You can see the selling prices at that site. Keep in mind there was an 18% buyers premium, and another 5% if you bid online.

Russie[/quote

Well thanks! I forgot that Donley was doing a sale the same weekend as Stanton. It's always kind of interesting to see what does, and what doesn't sell high. It often makes no sense to me. But I do know that seeing the stuff in person can make a big difference as well. Photographs often make stuff look better than they do in person. Hope you had a good time of it there. Earl.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I see several high end items were "passed." What does that mean? I thought Donley auctions were no reserve. Jerry

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Post by barnettrp21122 »

Jerry B. wrote:I see several high end items were "passed." What does that mean? I thought Donley auctions were no reserve. Jerry
No, this happens with disappointing regularity, especially with high-end pieces.
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

Jerry B. wrote:I see several high end items were "passed." What does that mean? I thought Donley auctions were no reserve. Jerry
Jerry,

Passed almost always is a reserve not met item.

Most auction houses have there own way of dealing with reserves, passed is one, the
other is to hammer it to a house number so it looks like it was sold.

Chuck