United States Gramophone Co vs Berliner Gramophone Co

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Mlund2020
Victor II

United States Gramophone Co vs Berliner Gramophone Co

Post by Mlund2020 »

I just picked up the United States Gramophone Co. Hand-wind Toy Gramophone at Stanton’s auction to go with my Berliner Gramophone Co. Hand-wind. My understanding is that Berliner’s very first Hand-wind Toy machines in the U.S. were produced under his United States Gramophone Co. at a time when he was retailing machines himself. Once he contracted with Frank Seeman to promote and sell his machines he incorporated a new company- The Berliner Gramophone Co. to produce the Hand-wind Toy machines and machines were marked as such. At this time the United States Gramophone Co. became a patent holding company only to control his parents. Does anyone know if this is correct?
Attachments
9BCF98DC-A59B-485F-AD87-B5124B18BF5A.jpeg
11060BA0-D43D-49D9-A476-C75DCD6F16D5.jpeg
D75F3486-6359-44EF-BD02-2F1C0D524122.jpeg

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: United States Gramophone Co vs Berliner Gramophone Co

Post by phonogfp »

I believe the United States Gramophone would pre-date the incorporation of the Berliner Gramophone Company on October 8, 1895. I'm not sure these markings have any relevance to Frank Seaman's involvement in marketing Gramophones (which didn't begin until 1896).

By the way, although some Berliner advertisements featured the hand-driven models being operated by children, the machine wasn't advertised as a toy - - simply a talking machine that was easy to operate.

George P.

Mlund2020
Victor II

Post by Mlund2020 »

phonogfp wrote:I believe the United States Gramophone would pre-date the incorporation of the Berliner Gramophone Company on October 8, 1895. I'm not sure these markings have any relevance to Frank Seaman's involvement in marketing Gramophones (which didn't begin until 1896).

By the way, although some Berliner advertisements featured the hand-driven models being operated by children, the machine wasn't advertised as a toy - - simply a talking machine that was easy to operate.

George P.
Thanks George. I knew I could count on you to help me get it right.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Well, even a stopped clock is accurate twice a day. :)

Glad to help - - and congratulations!

George P.