Type-1 Changer Finish & Unfinish Sets avail Instructs Videos

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
EarlH
Victor III

Re: Aluminum Replacement Set Complete for VE 10-50 10-70 & 9

Post by EarlH »

I've found with that 10-70 of mine, that if you take your favorite single sided Fritz Kreisler 12" record and put a 10 record on top of it and put some masking tape around it like I did in the picture. You can cut it with a razor and then when you adjust it for 10" records the needle will still have the record surface to land on if it falls short of the record. When that needle hits the rim of your record it will throw off where you are and it can be really frustrating. Once you get that point figured out, you can put a piece of tape towards the center where the tone arm "stops" and mark that point as well. Then if you have to get in there again, that inside stopping point will usually get things back where they need to be. And you can still play your Fritz record if for some reason you want too....... Haha! It does help a lot having a reference point with that adjustment. Thanks again Wayne, you do good work. Earl.
Attachments
DSC00363 (1024x768).jpg

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Re: Alum/Brass Replacement Set -Ops, Removal, & Install Vid

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

Thanks Earl for the good suggestion, it’s great to see different ways of getting the job done. It makes a lot of sense and I see why you like that method. I however will be describing another way in my video and in my written instructions. Hopefully in the end there will be more suggestions on more ways folks have done things differently.

What Earl is talking about is one of the three adjustments that need to be made when installing the Aluminum & Brass Replacement Set. I describe one of each in each of the 3 Parts of the installation videos (Part A, B, C) and those 3 adjustments are as follows:

1 - Adjustment of the Record Size Selector Lever to make it point to exactly the right spot of its 3 positions.

2 - Adjustment of the Collar Arm to make the Needle land in just the right spot.

3 - Ajustment of the Magazine Stand to allow the Record Ring to retrieve the record properly.

The Installation Video series as mentioned is divided up into 3 parts and the Victrola parts that are to be installed in each are described below. The written Installation Instructions are available in a subsequent posting.

PART A - Record Size Selector Gears and Shafts, Gear Assembly, Changer, Front Control Panel, and Record Size Selector Lever:

Video A-1: https://youtu.be/tZ7WfRzpClE
Video A-2: https://youtu.be/J6bUCO3Uo6I
Video A-3: https://youtu.be/nwUDpaKdSCU

PART B - Collar Arm, Tone Arm, Turntable, Motor Board, Speed Control Bolt, Reproducer, and Tone Arm Escutcheon:

Video B-1: https://youtu.be/VENArwmCjP0
Video B-2: https://youtu.be/XqtZMMEA_z8

PART C - Record Pad, Record Ring, and Magazine Stand

Video C-1: https://youtu.be/88NPYrBEmX4

Note that in my videos, I suggest that it is good to replace the cloth covered wire going to the Power Switch, to the VE 10-50 Early and Mid style Door Sensor Switch, and to replace the direct harness connection of the motor in the VE 10-50 Early and Mid style with a plug and socket. I will be offering these on the Yankee Clipper soon to any folks that buy my Aluminum & Brass Replacement Set. As well a new 6’ or 12’ power cord. Here are photos of some of what I am referring to (wires shown are 16 gauge, connectors are marine grade, and I supply the Underwriter’s knot already made):
Attachments
29A36DF1-DB0A-46F1-A3FD-DE11D1AFA6F0.jpeg
729B3D1E-3186-4B14-9A90-8C2C31983CEA.jpeg
4A10D610-EDD7-46E6-8BC4-8A49642207B4.jpeg

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

At last...

THE WRITTEN REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS ARE NOW AVAILABLE!

Whew!

This is a fairly detailed 12 page document that also includes the video links to Youtube that show you these instructions visually, step by step.

Now anyone can replace with ease, their pot metal parts in their Victor Type-1 changer machine.
Attachments
Installation Instructions - v1.2.pdf
(313.54 KiB) Downloaded 57 times

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Thanks to a forum member for pointing out an error with my Installation Instructions regarding the link to Video Part A-3 was the same as Part A-2. This has been corrected in the v1.2 of the document dated 11/30/18. Please download the latest copy and dispose of your previous copy.

I am open to any criticism of my documents or methods. I'm striving to improve.
Attachments
Installation Instructions - v1.2.pdf
(313.54 KiB) Downloaded 63 times

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Just an update to my cast aluminum Replacement Set project...

I made a change to the underside of the Record Pad on the pattern board to minimize the amount of end-mill work needed. See the new cast part on the left compared to the end-mill work required on my final product on the right of my previous castings.

The second change was to have the u-shape area on the underside filled in. This adds more weight on that end which closer matches the weight of the original pot metal part.

I am making the raw castings available at only $275 (see link below) and this will be all that I will have to offer after my very few remaining complete and finished sets sell out at $550.

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =9&t=38357
Attachments
image.jpg

earlyjukeman
Victor Jr

Post by earlyjukeman »

I'll take a finished set for a 9-55. Email to follow. thanks

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Re: Type-1 Changer Replacement Sets avail w/ Instruct & Vide

Updates:

Unfinished sets available at my new lower price of only $175 per set. or two or more sets for $150. Shipping included.

Felt for the Record Pad, Record Shoot Guide, and the Record Drawer will be available soon.

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Re: Type-1 Changer Finish & Unfinish Sets avail Instructs Vi

Just completed the instructions on how to machine an unfinished set of cast aluminum parts and the two part instructions are available below for download. Be sure to download both.

Interesting to note what has been popular with a few folks so far, is to buy one set of finished parts and one set of unfinished. Though my instructions are quite detailed, this practice makes a lot of sense when you need multiple sets but want to save money in the process. It's the same kind of practice I've used when collecting machines and is the reason why I have had so many of the same model.

Otherwise, I hope these instructions help anyone with a Type-1 Changer machine.

Merry Christmas!
Attachments
Machining Instructions pages 1-4 v1.0.pdf
(160.36 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
Machine Instructions pages 5-9 v1.0.pdf
(1.73 MiB) Downloaded 57 times