Edisonic reproducer conundrum

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Edisonic reproducer conundrum

Post by drh »

Today I became the proud owner of a second Edisonic reproducer, this one gold (the one that came with my Edisonic machine is gunmetal). After doing a bit of needed maintenance/cleaning work, the "new" one plays loud and clear. And that's the conundrum: it sounds much nicer than the gunmetal one. Indeed, on first, limited acquaintance, it sounds wonderful.

Not knowing if the gold reproducer's stylus was good (it turns out to be), as a test record I chose a less-than-pristine disc by the Jaudas dance orch. The gunmetal one is very bright--not shrill, but distinctly bright--and gives the Jaudas dance band instruments noticeably less body and presence than the gold one does. The record features woodblocks in the arrangement; with the gold one, they come through clearly but blend with the rest of the orchestra, whereas with the gunmetal they jump out like gunshots, all out of proportion to their surroundings.

I picked up the gold reproducer with the idea of reselling it. Now I'm having second thoughts.

Anybody have similar experience across reproducers? Or have an idea why the discrepancy? The gold one has a serial number (no prefix) 8654 NS; the gunmetal is E 40580 NS.

larryh
Victor IV

Re: Edisonic reproducer conundrum

Post by larryh »

Most likely from what you have told us the gold one has a diaphragm that is taxed by age and doesn't respond like a newer or better condition would. Franky at least in my case, and being rather picky on how I hear the sound, I have actually never had an original that would still produce the kind of sound that edisons would have had when new. The shellac is prone to hardening and deterioration which effects the sound. Its also possible to have a stylus which test fine so far as harm to the record surface but after all these years is worn and will no longer produce the details clearly. Sort of like how a worn steel needle gives a less than satisfactory sound compared to a new one, the diamond also reaches a similar state. A decent new diaphragm is probably the answer to your issues so long as the stylus is good. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of current choices that are going to give better than average sound. Shortly perhaps that won't be the case, at least that is what I hope.

My True tone works fine in my Edisonic Head and several others are being perfected which should make a difference in how people hear their records one day.

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

I can attest that Larry’s True Tone diaphragm is the best so far, I understand there is a new one coming out soon from another member on the forum.

All in all, there have been many attempts to recreate what Edison’s machines actually sounded like when they were new, some maybe spot on. Who knows. However, I can say that those original diaphragms are all over the map today, some are simply too stressed and worn out, some have been damaged from handling, age and climate conditions. The True Tone as of today is the best, until we can hear the new ones that will be released.

The late Bob Waltrip who has been gone for over 20 years, made a good diaphragm, but those are no longer available. What a I also find is that you will get different results with different diaphragms. Some collectors have an assortment of rebuilt reproducers with diffferent diaphragms to play different records.

I suppose it’s all a matter of taste.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

I'd suggest keeping your gun metal Edisonic and having it rebuilt. If you ever want to sell your Edisonic phonograph with a gold reproducer on it, that would significantly reduce the value imho.

Sell your gold Edisonic, or keep it as a spare once you've gotten the gun metal one up to snuff. :monkey:

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

Valecnik wrote:I'd suggest keeping your gun metal Edisonic and having it rebuilt. If you ever want to sell your Edisonic phonograph with a gold reproducer on it, that would significantly reduce the value imho.

Sell your gold Edisonic, or keep it as a spare once you've gotten the gun metal one up to snuff. :monkey:
Oh, I never had any idea of selling the original from my Edisonic Schubert. It and the machine are a unit and should stay that way. I bought the gold one purely with the idea of reselling at a profit (must keep my wife happy with this collecting habit somehow, and "I can make money off it now and again" is a great excuse!) but was surprised to find that I like it well enough to be reluctant about carrying through.

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

Edison offered upgrades for the standard phonographs to make them and Edisonic type reproducer. Added the new weight and they stamped the bottom with an extra set of numbers or letters that designated an upgraded original. You can use it on any Edison machine and get better sound than the standard most of the time.

larry