Can somebody identify this machine?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Can somebody identify this machine?

Post by Mormon S »

This is for sale extremely close to me for 200. The horn seems to have been painted a neon yellow, but the rest seems good. Any clue on what this machine might be?
Attachments
Screenshot_20181119-031753_Facebook.jpg

soundgen
Victor VI

Re: Can somebody identify this machine?

Post by soundgen »

looks home made to me !

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

soundgen wrote:looks home made to me !
Agreed. The case looks recent and the horn probably started life on a cylinder machine.
The needle container, not something one expects to see on a travelling arm machine, is from a portable.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Yes, it's a marriage of stuff. The horn is a Gem morning glory horn and probably a reproduction. The support and traveling arm look homemade modified adapted from other objects. The spring loaded needle cup is from a portable and seems to be covered by the turntable. The case looks homemade. I can't see enough of the reproducer to comment. Hope this helps. Jerry B.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Run away!!!

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

Thanks for all of the replies everyone, I seem to be bad at identifying Frank-ophones. I was hoping it was a repainted horn and an added needle cup, with the rest being an origionaly together piece. Thank you!
Martin

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

I agree with all replies except "run away" (no offense intended--i know it's meant to be humorous). I think there is a place for this sort of thing. It's a good-looking concoction. We've seen a few on this site. Some of them are quite attractive, made-up machines that if they were to fool anyone, they would only fool the complete novice. I would not call this a Frankenphone as I don't think there's an intention to deceive. (To me, that's part of the definition; others can disagree.) The traveling arm looks like a wall bracket used to support a shelf. I think the machine is attractive and the horn really sets it off. Am I about to rush out and buy it? No. Nor can I comment on the price. But someone was imaginative. And that I like.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

jboger wrote:I agree with all replies except "run away" (no offense intended--i know it's meant to be humorous). I think there is a place for this sort of thing. It's a good-looking concoction. We've seen a few on this site. Some of them are quite attractive, made-up machines that if they were to fool anyone, they would only fool the complete novice. I would not call this a Frankenphone as I don't think there's an intention to deceive. (To me, that's part of the definition; others can disagree.) The traveling arm looks like a wall bracket used to support a shelf. I think the machine is attractive and the horn really sets it off. Am I about to rush out and buy it? No. Nor can I comment on the price. But someone was imaginative. And that I like.
I agree. It'd be a great decorator piece in a "flower" or "garden" room. If it works and sounds good? So much the better.

Someone did a really nice job on this.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

chrisg
Victor III

Post by chrisg »

Was sold out of musical treasures of miami. When Raphael was selling Dr Z? collection. A fellow local bought it.

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Sorry to hear that I almost thought it might be the elusive Edison Standard G.. :lol: Tom