What are your early memories of Union?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

What are your early memories of Union?

Post by Jerry B. »

I've kept a log of my phonograph activities since l978. I wasn't sure of the year of my first Union trip so I checked my log. The year was 1982. I took a whole suitcase of reproduction aluminum Victor V size back brackets. I think my suitcase held over twenty. I sold one for $40. That was a bummer (1980's word). But my overall entry said I had a great time. I bought an Opera horn elbow, an Edison morning glory horn, and my copy ofLook For The Dog. The main part of the show was held in what was in more recent times the restaurant. The room out back had a permanent roof and the outside walls were canvas one could be raised or lowered. That is now the main sales room. I remember watching a Victor VI sell repeatedly. I bet it moved to four or five locations around the sale. I also remember seeing a mahogany fancy case Victor MS or D. I can't remember which model it was. I went with my mentor collector, Ira Dueltgen, and good friend, John Davis.

What are your early memories?

Jerry Blais

vansteem78
Victor II

Re: What are your early memories of Union?

Post by vansteem78 »

Hmm I found Union my first year or two of collecting circa 1982 when I was thirty. I bought a book/album of Rudy Vallee records from the guy that owned Toad Hall in Rockford. Expensive I thought but still some of my favorite records and I now have many thousands more. I think from Larry Donely I bought my Amberola VIII and a box of two and four minute wax cylinders along with my first Edison Standard 2/4 minute machine. I still have those machines and treasure them. Neil Van Steemburg

colmike1
Victor III

Post by colmike1 »

I remember setting up at the October show (1987-ish) under a lean-to attached to the Wild West Town. It was cold & wet, but I had a great time. The next summer, I set up in the middle room (now the main hall). It was still open on the sides. I had a huge load of parts machines (ah, those were the days). Someone took a stereo-view of me in my straw hat, pomaded hair and wool vest (perfect for summer, you know). I still have it around here somewhere!

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Someone took a stereo-view of me in my straw hat, pomaded hair and wool vest (perfect for summer, you know). I still have it around here somewhere!
I was there as well. Joan Rolfs took those stereo-view photos. It was great fun. Here's the one she did for me. I was in Darrell Lehman's booth. I have a couple of wishes... Wish I had purchased that Victor banner. Wish I still had hair. I was 35 at the time.

Jerry Blais
Attachments
IMG_2758.JPG
IMG_2757.JPG

colmike1
Victor III

Post by colmike1 »

I remember seeing you at that show. I did not put two and two together :-) I will see if I can find the stereo view of me from that time. I was much thinner, much darker hair, no beard...

Chuck
Victor III
Personal Text: Richards Laboratories http://www.richardslaboratories.com producing high quality cylinder blanks

Post by Chuck »

Larry Schlick who lived not far from me
was the one who originally advised me to go
to the Union show to look for parts.

Back then I was still trying to find all the
missing stuff to go along with my grandfather's
Edison Standard model D combination machine.

Found all of that stuff at Union back around 1980
and 1981. Found a nice 10 panel black Edison
horn, horn crane, a few recorders, lots of very nice
2 minute Gold Moulded records, Blue Amberols, etc.

I remember feeling like I'd just hit the jackpot!

I also recall lots of rain and thick mud!
"Sustained success depends on searching
for, and gaining, fundamental understanding"

-Bell System Credo

Joe Prindle
Victor Jr

Post by Joe Prindle »

I went to the Union show in 1985 with a fellow named Roger Lenz, from Lake Mills, WI. At the time I was a sophomore in High School. At that time I had a half a dozen inside horn machines and a bunch of records. As a kid, my resources were limited and I had met Roger through the local historical society. He was a mentor and gave me a lot of sage advice and information. Through him I connected with Bob Fulweider, the Smythes in Ohio, Neil Gerichten out in New Jersey and the legendary Mr. Miller out in Yorba Linda, CA.
Anyhow, Roger invited me to attend Union with him and I was amazed. I remember hauling a tabletop Brunswick and a tabletop Columbia Grafanola with me and a milk crate full of duplicate records. After looking things over inside we set up a few things to swap in the parking lot. I traded the two phonographs for a Standard X with broken arm and a stripped gear. I had a copy of "Under the Anheuser Bush" in my milk crate and some guy offered me $10 for it. I thought he had lost his mind, but I took his money.
The thing that I remember the most is the bar area with a bust of Edison and horns hanging from the ceiling and phonographs everywhere.
Like often happens, life got in the way and I didn't get back to Union until 3 years ago. I hadn't played a phonograph for ten years and was thinking about selling out. I hauled my old Victor M out of the attic, my daughter (7 at the time) saw it and threw a fit about selling it, so I guess I'm collecting again. Now, I haul one home and my daughter is right there to see how it works and help get it all cleaned and oiled.
I had a blast at Union after missing it all those years, I hope it goes on for many more.
Incurable collector of all sorts of weird, shiny objects.

edisonclassm
Victor II

Post by edisonclassm »

My first trip to Union was in 1978. The shell of the building where the restaurant is now had just been erected and the show was held inside on a bare concrete floor. The wheeling and dealing was intense in those days. The next year I took a Columbia BC that I had restored with a 56" brass horn. I was set up in the front corner and across from me directly in line with the horn was Jerry Madsen. I remember when I turned it on for the first time to demonstrate it a complete hush came over the crowd because it was so loud. Many people came by the booth to hear it play. Jerry, being right across from the horn eventually came over with an angry look on his face and dropped a few "F" bombs and said if I played it anymore he would take a sledge hammer to it! After that I had to go ask his permission to play it for a potential customer. I finally sold it to his delight!