FOLLOW THE RESTORATION: Steel Body Edison “O” Reproducer

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gsphonos
Victor II

Re: FOLLOW THE RESTORATION: Steel Body Edison “O” Reproducer

Post by gsphonos »

OK--wonderful job on the O reproducer! I have a brass one myself--with the 2/4 minute changer rod broken off. How about some tips on how to disassemble an O reproducer? I have never done one, and can find nothing on the web on how to do so. I know there are pins to push out, but how about some guidance before I screw something up? Any tips would be appreciated!! I have a rebuilt pot metal O reproducer. I want to take the original switcher rod off of that one, and put it on the brass O that I have (and rebuild it). My plan is to get a reproduction switcher rod from Ron Sitko, and put it on my pot metal O.

Thanks!

Mike Sorter
Riverside, CA

MicaMonster
Victor III
Personal Text: Never Settled

Post by MicaMonster »

Dave D wrote:Where did you get the turnover knob?
Dave D
I believe this is a leftover made by Mirek Stelik, back when he was making such parts. If you need one, I can hook you up. But, there might only be one left!
-Antique Phonograph Reproducer Restorer-
http://www.EdisonDiamondDisc.com
Taming Orthophonics Daily!

MicaMonster
Victor III

Post by MicaMonster »

gsphonos wrote:OK--wonderful job on the O reproducer! I have a brass one myself--with the 2/4 minute changer rod broken off. How about some tips on how to disassemble an O reproducer? I have never done one, and can find nothing on the web on how to do so. I know there are pins to push out, but how about some guidance before I screw something up? Any tips would be appreciated!! I have a rebuilt pot metal O reproducer. I want to take the original switcher rod off of that one, and put it on the brass O that I have (and rebuild it). My plan is to get a reproduction switcher rod from Ron Sitko, and put it on my pot metal O.

Thanks!

Mike Sorter
Riverside, CA
Hello Mike! Sometimes you can take the rod end and turn it down, thus shortening the rod a negligible amount, and still be able to use the original rod. The rod is held to the needlebar cage by a tiny little pin that is pressed in. The pin is beveled, so you have to be VERY CAREFUL to push on the very end “spade” of the pin to remove it, or use penetrating oil and pliers and try to wiggle out the stub, if you can get a grip of it. You will thus need to make a new pin.

IDEALLY, you should remove the tiny 0000 screw that holds the pivot washer/yoke from the end of the needlebar. DONT LOSE IT, THERE ARE NO REPLACEMENTS IMMEDIATELY AVAILABLE WITHOUT HEADACHE. Another method is to GENTLY spread the yoke with a tiny screwdriver and pop it off the pivot washer. Pain in the neck, but doable. One end of the cage is secured with a nut and screw. The other end is held by a support cuff that is fastened by a nut from the TOP side of the weight. If your hinge block pin or limit loop pin won’t come out, you can GENTLY flex the limit loop over the limit loop pin to allow you to lower the weight and unthread the hinge block from the body. Hope this helps. Alternatively, you can send it to me and I can do it. It is a quick job, relatively, if no complications are encountered. I could also rotate both sapphires to new facets and make sure it sounds right.

-W

gsphonos
Victor II

Post by gsphonos »

Thanks for the reply! I may just send them to you......it is not an urgent project--but just one of those things that I think about getting done! I have 2 brand new sets of O stylii that I got from Ron Dethlefson some years ago. I assume he got them from Expert Stylus in England. I also have an extra O weight, that I always was going to get put together. I never thought I would get a brass O, and I wound up with 3 of them within a couple of years. I have been hoping to get a "trowel" weight O, but haven't found one yet. I may just take a stab at things--I believe I have some of the tiny pieces of the O pivot pin, that I got in some of Ron's reproducer parts. I have been following your posts about diamond disc reproducers--and the great sound. I may just have to send a number of things to you!

Mike

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

Yay.....Another one saved.

You're right... The "Before" photos did make it look like the reproducer was found from the wreckage of the Titanic.

I've seen a lot of bad reproducers....The inside of that one has to be one of the worst that I've ever seen..

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

Steve Levi
Victor II

Post by Steve Levi »

I was the client of this reproducer. I just received the other day. Little over 1 week from passing reproducer to Wyatt at Stantons to being back in my hands! I have to say it looks fantastic! It was terrible before and I did not want a shiny look either. It sounds "WONDERFUL"!!!! I am glad Wyatt did another "follow the restoration" with this. They are always a treat to follow. He shares a lot with us that many others would keep to themselves. All I can say is his work and his posts speak for themselves and he is highly recommended to anyone for any repair he takes on! Thanks again Wyatt! Steve Levi
Last edited by Steve Levi on Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

How did you cut the retaining ring out without damaging the inner thread?

MicaMonster
Victor III

Post by MicaMonster »

Mormon S wrote:How did you cut the retaining ring out without damaging the inner thread?
High speed diamond cutter disc.