How should I repaint Columbia model q horn?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: How should I repaint Columbia model q horn?

Post by phonogfp »

With respect, there's a good lesson to be learned here.

A complete Q with reproducer and horn is worth far more than $100 - even when dirty (that's an easy and cheap fix). The seller was offering that Q at a more-than-fair price. When in that situation - and especially in a public venue - the smart move is to give the man his money and take home your prize.

I've seen many collectors lose out on great deals at shows and on eBay, trying to make a good deal even better. I know this because I've picked up the object they've laid back down on a table while wheedling the dealer, or I've paid the eBay Buy It Now price while others have been making low-ball offers. You'd be surprised at the great things I've bought this way at bargain prices. Others have done the same thing...because I've seen them standing behind my shoulder waiting for me to lay something back down! I like a bargain as much as the next collector, but don't let a good deal get away for the sake of a few less bucks. I'm not interested in more Qs, but I'd buy the one you're looking at in a heartbeat for $100.

I hope you get this Q, and I also hope you remember this experience and put it to good use. :)

George P.

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

phonogfp wrote:With respect, there's a good lesson to be learned here.

A complete Q with reproducer and horn is worth far more than $100 - even when dirty (that's an easy and cheap fix). The seller was offering that Q at a more-than-fair price. When in that situation - and especially in a public venue - the smart move is to give the man his money and take home your prize.

I've seen many collectors lose out on great deals at shows and on eBay, trying to make a good deal even better. I know this because I've picked up the object they've laid back down on a table while wheedling the dealer, or I've paid the eBay Buy It Now price while others have been making low-ball offers. You'd be surprised at the great things I've bought this way at bargain prices. Others have done the same thing...because I've seen them standing behind my shoulder waiting for me to lay something back down! I like a bargain as much as the next collector, but don't let a good deal get away for the sake of a few less bucks. I'm not interested in more Qs, but I'd buy the one you're looking at in a heartbeat for $100.

I hope you get this Q, and I also hope you remember this experience and put it to good use. :)

George P.
Appreciate the response. Totally agree, but the seller isnt even responding to a simple question. I checked the sellers account, and he is rated 3.5 stars :?.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Mormon S wrote: Appreciate the response. Totally agree, but the seller isnt even responding to a simple question. I checked the sellers account, and he is rated 3.5 stars :?.
The seller may be annoyed. Apologize, plead youth, indigence, blue eyes or something, and offer him the $100 he wants. He may feel that you're wasting his time, but money talks.

Good luck!

George P.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

I myself am lntrested in getting a Q. Because I want a machine that I can afford that will play brown wax cylinders when I get any. And the one I’m looking at doesn’t come with a reproducer, case, or horn! And they want twice as much for it! $100 is a pretty good deal for a complete machine.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Did you end up getting the machine???
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Mormon S
Victor III

Post by Mormon S »

Curt A wrote:Did you end up getting the machine???
after a week of no response, he unlisted the ad :evil:. Ugh, new opportunities will come...

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

The good thing is it was a Q, they're at least rather plentiful and you're young, you'll find another at a reasonable price, so I wouldn't fret too much.

Consider this a bit of a lesson learned (I certainly learned my share of them when I was a teenager!)

Sean

Mormon S
Victor III

Post by Mormon S »

OrthoSean wrote:The good thing is it was a Q, they're at least rather plentiful and you're young, you'll find another at a reasonable price, so I wouldn't fret too much.

Consider this a bit of a lesson learned (I certainly learned my share of them when I was a teenager!)

Sean
I think it was more of a case of the seller not knowing what they were doing/not knowing how to use the app. Many times something is already sold but the seller didnt take it down. At least I know hown to paint a Columbia q horn now :lol: could be useful for someone else in the future.

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Post by kirtley2012 »

It's worth putting a wanted ad on here, you're bound to find something, although it may be more money, you'll probably get a better machine that's ready to go, Q's aren't all that expensive.

I used to have a very nice Q I think I bought from here, very early example, alas I went on an early life crisis and sold everything including the Q, then I got thoroughly hooked again so I'm building the collection back! I have an AT instead of a Q now but all columbia machines I find very fascinating and ornate, the open works models such as the Q, B, AB, are a lot of fun to watch run