Why does my model c reproducer sound poor?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Why does my model c reproducer sound poor?

Post by Mormon S »

I have a model c reproducer with new gaskets and the origional diaphragm in good condition. The sound makes a vibrating sound on high/loud points of the music. Have I not tightened the compression ring enough? What are common mistakes when rebuilding a reproducer?

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: Why does my model c reproducer sound poor?

Post by Lucius1958 »

Is the reproducer airtight? You might try tightening the ring a fraction of an inch, and see if that helps.

Is the diaphragm mica or copper? Is the link loose?

Bill

Mormon S
Victor III

Post by Mormon S »

Lucius1958 wrote:Is the reproducer airtight? You might try tightening the ring a fraction of an inch, and see if that helps.

Is the diaphragm mica or copper? Is the link loose?

Bill
It has a copper diaphragm. I tightened the ring, it helped a bit, but not that much. I will try to tightening the link tomorrow. Do mica diaphragms suffer this problem less?

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

Mormon S wrote:The sound makes a vibrating sound on high/loud points of the music.
Are you confident that the cylinder you're playing is not the source of your problem? Black wax cylinders that have been played a LOT over the years can produce sound that is distorted and it's especially pronounced in the loud passages. I recently purchased a collection of black wax cylinders that on visual naked eye inspection appeared to be in gorgeous condition. When I played some of them there was noticeable distortion on the loud passages whereas a different copy of the cylinder in my collection plays perfectly with no distortion.

I realize that you mentioned a "vibration" and not distortion but it might be worthwhile to play several different cylinders (including some Indestructible cylinders if possible since their surface composition is less susceptible to wear) to assure that your issue is indeed with the reproducer.

Edison cylinder reproducers are simple to rebuild and adjust yourself with the appropriate tools. If there is still vibration occurring after play of several different cylinders then try carefully disassembling the reproducer and examine the parts beginning with low magnification (even an inexpensive magni-visor from Harbor Freight or Hobby Lobby will be more helpful than naked eye). Assure that the diaphragm and the diaphragm eyelet is stable and tight. I've found that mica diaphragms and their eyelets are much more prone to causing sound issues than copper diaphragms.

Original Edison model C reproducers are generally very reliable at producing satisfying results after a simple rebuild with new gaskets presuming the stylus, stylus bar, link and diaphragm are in good shape and correct for the reproducer. The threaded ring should be hand tightened (not smacked with a tool which may over tighten it or worse, the tool could slip off the threaded ring and injure the diaphragm and then you'll have a real problem).

If careful examination of the reproducer components reveals no issues and the different cylinders you're playing exhibit the same issue then consider posting some pictures. Good luck.

Doug

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Careful adjustment of the compression ring can work wonders. You don't even need to disassemble - - just use your thumbs on the exposed ring at each side. Just a few degrees either way can make a big difference.

George P.

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

One other thing to check: is the diaphragm perfectly centered? There is precious little space between the rim of the diaphragm and the body of the reproducer. If an edge of the diaphragm is even a little bit off-center, not completely isolated by the gaskets, it can touch the body of the reproducer and that will seriously impair the sound.

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

phonogfp wrote:Careful adjustment of the compression ring can work wonders. You don't even need to disassemble - - just use your thumbs on the exposed ring at each side. Just a few degrees either way can make a big difference.

George P.
Absolutely correct, sometimes if the compression ring is too tight it causes all vibrations toward the center, if it is too loose then it looses air and you get poor sound. Just have to find that sweet spot.

Dr_Buzzsaw
Victor Jr

Post by Dr_Buzzsaw »

Building on what FellowCollector said, it could be a worn stylus. I've come across styli that looked okay on casual examination but were worn just enough to cause distortion. If you haven't already, thoroughly check it out in strong light with a good hand lens or loupe, just in case there's a small worn (flat) spot on the playing face. They can be hard to spot, but can make a big difference in sound.
Last edited by Dr_Buzzsaw on Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mormon S
Victor III

Post by Mormon S »

Dr_Buzzsaw wrote:Building on what FellowCollector said, it could be a worn stylus. I've come across styli that looked okay on casual examination but were worn just enough to cause distortion. If you haven't already, thoughtfully check it out in strong light with a good hand lens or loupe, just in case there's a small worn (flat) spot on the playing face. They can be hard to spot, but can make a big difference in sound.
There is something else, when the music gets even a little loud, the reproducer makes a "metal clinking sound". Anyone know what that is?

I apologize for being so uneducated about cylinder reproducers :lol: :roll:

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

The metallic sound is likely your stylus linkage being too loose. Sometimes you need to fiddle with it and tighten it up a bit.

Sean