December 2018 APS Journal

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
A Ford 1
Victor II

Re: December 2018 APS Journal

Post by A Ford 1 »

I love reading the APS magazine and always look forward to the new one coming!
Allen

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

alang wrote:I can only agree as well that the APS membership is worth every penny. My only (small) gripe is that there is no way to auto-renew my membership. I think it would help the APS a lot if they would offer a subscription option. Our local HOA offers this through PayPal and I love it. Sign up and forget.

Andreas
Andreas, you're not the only one who wants an auto-renew. Some of APS's best minds are working on it. (Obviously, I'm not involved in this...)

George P.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Whoopee! My copy arrived today!
ClovercoverFinal.jpg
Just in case nobody else noticed, this issue of The Antique Phonograph went from its usual 52 pages to 60!

I too want to applaud Editor Rene Rondeau for putting out a consistently excellent journal (56 of them since 2004!).

I don't know where to start or end with the articles, but I must mention that Paul Edie and Bob Baumbach have added significant information to the Victor/Victrola story through the discovery of original factory documents miraculously saved by an employee in the early 1970s. The account of the unlikely survival of these documents and the story they tell is riveting. In reading Bob's in-depth account of 1924, it brought to mind the circumstances relating to Edison's disc of Greetings From The Bunch At Orange.

I guess I can complain occasionally - - especially when it's the printer's fault! Members who compare their journal cover to the image above may notice that this one is brighter. Several images in the article on the Clover Leaf Horn were printed significantly darker than the images sent to the printer. Don't blame Rene!

Here's another for comparison to the printed image:
Clover2.JPG
Even though only a few images were darkened, Rene alerted the APS Board to this before we received our copies, and is following up with the printer. He's a perfectionist, and it shows.

Thanks again to all who contribute their time and effort - - as well as the members whose dues make it all happen!

George P.

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

phonogfp wrote:a consistently excellent journal (56 of them since 2004!).
Actually, it's 60 consecutive issues, but who's counting? :lol:

But thanks for the comments. Laying out 52 (or sometimes 56, or this time 60) pages every few months is a very time-consuming job, but fortunately I really enjoy it. I'm looking forward to getting a huge raise after 15 years, doubling my current salary from $0 a year to a massive $0.

Wait, what? :?

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

Ooops - it certainly is 60 issues! :oops: Well, you ARE the highest-paid of any Board member!

Wait...60 issues, 60 pages... Was that planned? ;)

George P.

need4art
Victor II
Personal Text: A man is not a man who does not make the world a better place

Post by need4art »

Rvwenger,
You are right about Paul Edie, I recently purchased a Brunswick from him...wait a second how did that get in here!!!, he's a Victor guy! Well like most things in life a little change is good for the soul and he had a unit, restored it electronically and enjoyed it for a while. He put it on his website and to make a long story short I bought it. Paul was very fair about the unit and price.

But I needed to get it from NC to AZ-expensive. But with a bit of Paul magic it went to Stanton, to be picked up by Steve Oliphant, who dropped it off at a friend's in Flagstaff Az while I was in Denver with family for Thanksgiving. On Wednesday we will do an up and back trip 310 miles to pick it up.

It's been a number of months since I bought it and Paul kept saying "don't worry I will keep it until we figure it out"

If there is anyone who is part of this Forum, that does not belong to APS, the $30.00 in your pocket will not do as much for you as joining the organization and going to some of the shows that it puts on. Like in many groups there are a small group of people that do the heavy lifting, you find them in the person that manages this forum website and the people that put together the magazine and shows, and as Renee said the pay is really great???? but the least we can do is support those that put in the time and effort.

So get out your check book, or credit card and join-today and for a year you will get the best the hobby has to offer.

Abe

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

My copy arrived yesterday. All the way to Melbourne Australia. :D

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

chunnybh wrote:My copy arrived yesterday. All the way to Melbourne Australia. :D
WOW! :shock:

There truly is no rhyme or reason to what the Post Office does with these!

George P.

MTPhono
Victor III

Post by MTPhono »

I just want to say THANK YOU to the entire APS staff for producing such a high quality product. It is amazing that interesting and meaty articles can still be researched and written. I suggest a doubling of everyone's salaries. (Mine arrived 11/24 in Idaho)

cjstoessner
Victor O
Personal Text: James-Gail Co.

Post by cjstoessner »

Has anybody else NOT received their copy??? I am located in Eastern NC and it still hasn't arrived as of Friday, 11.30.2018. I feel like that kid in The Christmas Story who keeps looking in the mailbox every day in anticipation, LOL !!!

Thanks!!!