LATE Edison DD Phono knobs questionnaire

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Re: LATE Edison DD Phono knobs questionnaire

Post by marcapra »

I have two Schuberts. One of them has the original wood knobs, but one of them was broken in half. The other Schubert had lost its knobs, but had some metal ones from a BC-34. Later I replaced those metal knobs with some wooden knobs from someone's Long Play console, which looked identical to the Schubert wood knobs. So it is possible for a machine to have knobs that did not originally come with it.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

marcapra wrote:I have two Schuberts. One of them has the original wood knobs, but one of them was broken in half. The other Schubert had lost its knobs, but had some metal ones from a BC-34. Later I replaced those metal knobs with some wooden knobs from someone's Long Play console, which looked identical to the Schubert wood knobs. So it is possible for a machine to have knobs that did not originally come with it.
Exactly. The entire point of this questionnaire is an attempt to decisively identify specific knobs that would have been original to each of these models.

Cheers,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

coyote
Victor II

Post by coyote »

Schubert 2288, wood knobs, believed to be original. Prior owner had glued the broken right knob back together.
CLT 2288
CLT 2288
CLT 2288
CLT 2288
LP 1-C 2925. Left knob is wood, probably original. It looks almost identical to the Schubert knobs except for the finish, of course. Right knob appears to be a metal replacement. Judging by how many original wood knobs are cracked or replaced, these must not have held up well.
1-C 2925
1-C 2925
1-C 2925
1-C 2925

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Wonderful, thanks Bill!

Fran
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

coyote
Victor II

Post by coyote »

Whoops, forgot about the BC-34. This one is 39815. Knobs are wood (I think, it's hard to tell) and very similar to the Schubert and LP, but not quite the same, if these are original. I'll take it off at some point and try to determine the material.
BC34
BC34

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

coyote wrote:Whoops, forgot about the BC-34. This one is 39815. Knobs are wood (I think, it's hard to tell) and very similar to the Schubert and LP, but not quite the same, if these are original.
IMG_5262.JPG
That's great! Your photo illustrates the slight differences very nicely. That "parting" around the rim is so subtle that I hadn't previously noted it from any of the images I examined.

Thanks again for helping us,
Fran

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Fran, you're familiar with my Schubert, but for the sake of others and to keep the information in one place, I can confirm the known wooden knob design on a late-production Schubert.

Note the slight difference in thickness of the concentric circles on the faces of these two knobs. You may need to click twice and view on a monitor to see it:
Schubert #5451 - - Wood
100_6564.JPG
I believe both these knobs to be original, but one looks just a tad taller than the other. It could be the alignment of the doors, but I expect when comparing "identical" wooden knobs, slight variations in turning and aging will be occasionally noticed.
100_6566.JPG
George P.
Last edited by phonogfp on Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Thanks George! The more information we can compile will help to determine without any doubt which knobs were originally supplied with each of these models.

Particularly, I hope we can gather many more examples illustrating the ones used for the Long Playing consoles.

Cheers,
Fran

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Fran, you realize of course that by opening up this Pandora's Box, you are responsible for finding present-day sources for each type knob pictured...

George P.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

phonogfp wrote:Fran, you realize of course that by opening up this Pandora's Box, you are responsible for finding present-day sources for each type knob pictured...

George P.
That's a point I hadn't considered. Hmmmmmm :|