My first Graphophone! And serial number question.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Menophanes
Victor II

Re: My first Graphophone! And serial number question.

Post by Menophanes »

AmberolaAndy wrote:I also got out my stopwatch app just to see how much it would go on what I think is a a full wind, (What’s the ideal amount of turns while winding these?) and I got 2 minutes and 32 seconds. So just enough to play a full record.
Andy, do you know what speed the machine was running at? Mine will play (and indeed record) for a clear three minutes, but that is at 120 r.p.m.

Incidentally, I have found it impossible to make my Q play any faster than 133 r.p.m.; if I try to screw the regulator further out, the top of the vertical arm makes contact with the inner plate of the motor and produces an unpleasant vibration. Of course this machine was certainly designed and probably built before recording speeds began to increase, and so perhaps this is just as it should be; but as we are engaged (in another thread) in collecting data on Qs, it would be interesting to know what range of speeds they can achieve.

Oliver Mundy.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Menophanes wrote:
AmberolaAndy wrote:I also got out my stopwatch app just to see how much it would go on what I think is a a full wind, (What’s the ideal amount of turns while winding these?) and I got 2 minutes and 32 seconds. So just enough to play a full record.
Andy, do you know what speed the machine was running at? Mine will play (and indeed record) for a clear three minutes, but that is at 120 r.p.m.
I really don’t know exactly...I’m still waiting for the JAS reproducer to show up in the mail. BTW when I took apart and cleaned the machine the other day, I didn’t clean the spring. How do you open the spring barrel if needed? Did these Have graphite and Vaseline or something else?

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Menophanes wrote:

Incidentally, I have found it impossible to make my Q play any faster than 133 r.p.m.; if I try to screw the regulator further out, the top of the vertical arm makes contact with the inner plate of the motor and produces an unpleasant vibration. Of course this machine was certainly designed and probably built before recording speeds began to increase, and so perhaps this is just as it should be; but as we are engaged (in another thread) in collecting data on Qs, it would be interesting to know what range of speeds they can achieve.

Oliver Mundy.
That's a valid point, Oliver. I identified 2 different pitch feedscrews were paired with drive pulleys of 2 varying diameters, and posted my findings in a thread I linked on page 1 of this post; here: http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... 96#p172896.

This topic is reflected in my questionnaire with question #7, so that we can hopefully establish which machines were engineered to run at which of the 2 apparently different speeds.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Well folks, I finally got it playing! This is as fast as it will go. I’m sure it would sound better if I had any brown wax cylinders. but all I have are the post 1902 160rpm black wax and indestructibles. Not very loud either, but eh. What do you expect with a 10in horn?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=o_o8DTgCWI8

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

That sounds really great, despite being a little slow. Nice job!

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Here it it is playing a song. Excuse the muffled Audio in the middle of the video. I have a habit of accidentally putting my thumb over the mic on my iPad lol.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rjZ27Zcj_Ho

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Here’s a question: we’re some of these early Q’s upgraded around 1903 with new feedscrews or whatever to play the 160 rpm cylinders, and mine just happened to be one that wasn’t?