My first Graphophone! And serial number question.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Re: My first Graphophone! And serial number question.

Post by TinfoilPhono »

One very important point: be sure the spring is completely wound down before removing the governor or you're in for a nasty surprise when it suddenly lets go. :shock:

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

TinfoilPhono wrote:One very important point: be sure the spring is completely wound down before removing the governor or you're in for a nasty surprise when it suddenly lets go. :shock:
Yup. It shouldn’t be any harder than when I cleaned and rebuilt my VV-50 motor last month. It will be awhile before I even get any new weights and springs anyway.

Menophanes
Victor II

Post by Menophanes »

fran604g wrote:In his book "Columbia Phonograph Companion Volume 1" Howard Hazlecorn records the 1st version Type Q serial number blocks as encompassing 321,886 - 351,621, and 600,362 - 633,154.

The 2nd version is recorded as encompassing 803,157 - 1,065,180.

It's been proven in the earlier posts I linked that the 1st version serial numbers began lower.

Best,
Fran
And my 647,122 is still the first version, with the same patent dates as Andy's and with the right-hand end of the governor supported by a stanchion mounted on the baseplate rather than by a horizontal cage screwed to the inner motor plate.

Oliver Mundy.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Menophanes wrote:
fran604g wrote:In his book "Columbia Phonograph Companion Volume 1" Howard Hazlecorn records the 1st version Type Q serial number blocks as encompassing 321,886 - 351,621, and 600,362 - 633,154.

The 2nd version is recorded as encompassing 803,157 - 1,065,180.

It's been proven in the earlier posts I linked that the 1st version serial numbers began lower.

Best,
Fran
And my 647,122 is still the first version, with the same patent dates as Andy's and with the right-hand end of the governor supported by a stanchion mounted on the baseplate rather than by a horizontal cage screwed to the inner motor plate.

Oliver Mundy.
That's very interesting.

I've said it before, and again: I'd love to see someone start a "registry" of Q types, features, and serial numbers. :)

Happy holiday regards,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

fran604g wrote:
I've said it before, and again: I'd love to see someone start a "registry" of Q types, features, and serial numbers. :)
I can't think of a better guy to do this than you, Fran! I have three examples for which I can contribute data. Need any assistance with a questionnaire?

George P.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

phonogfp wrote:
fran604g wrote:
I can't think of a better guy to do this than you, Fran! I have three examples for which I can contribute data. Need any assistance with a questionnaire?

George P.
You should talk! What's one more, right? :lol:

Cheers,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Well, here we are all cleaned up! I did a tear down and cleaned up everything. The steel is discolored but most of the rust and grime iis gone! I’m still probably going to refurbish the governor.
Attachments
C3212A5F-36AC-4F31-A0CE-61E91E583B62.jpeg
FA5D167B-9D23-4A17-8EB2-FB9684A4513C.jpeg

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Hey - wasn't that easy and fun? Now you're a Q expert, and have gained confidence for future projects.

It looks nice - - that Q has already come a long way!

George P.

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

That's a great transformation!

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

phonogfp wrote:Hey - wasn't that easy and fun? Now you're a Q expert, and have gained confidence for future projects.

It looks nice - - that Q has already come a long way!

George P.
Well, there was a lot of elbow grease and some cussing but I got it working. :) I’m pretty happy how it turned out. Now I need a reproducer.

Here’s a video I made of my progress

http://youtube.com/watch?v=i8mFC6oRM94