A few questions on a early AT Graphophone

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonodesbois
Victor II

A few questions on a early AT Graphophone

Post by phonodesbois »

I just found (in France) a Graphophone in very, very good condition. The mechanism is an AT one with a rather low serial number (208195), with a #2 reproducer, without pot metal, but the cabinet is from a A model.
Furthermore, the governor has only 3 balls (similar to the Eagle balls). So what is it?
The Hazelcorn guide indicates that some early AT might have been sold in an A cabinet. Is that confirmed?
Should I change the governor for a 4 balls one or just keep it as is? (it works without noise).
Thanks for your help!
Jeff
Attachments
AT.jpg
AT2.jpg
AT1.jpg
AT3.jpg

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: A few questions on a early AT Graphophone

Post by phonogfp »

A few early ATs have indeed been found in A-type cabinets. There's a thread on this forum about it, but you'll need to find it with the Search feature.

I've never seen a 3-ball governor on an A or an AT till now. Personally, as long as it works well I wouldn't change it - - especially if it differs from the Eagle governor. (It looks like an Eagle governor in the pictures, but what are the chances those governors are interchangeable?)

Nice machine!

George P.

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

Jeff

I have the same style motor governor on an incomplete AT serial# 201299, no case though.
I thought the governor was changed but seeing yours now I'm not so sure. I wouldn't change it.

Chuck

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

ChuckA wrote:Jeff

I have the same style motor governor on an incomplete AT serial# 201299, no case though.
I thought the governor was changed but seeing yours now I'm not so sure. I wouldn't change it.

Chuck
Interesting!

I wonder if American Graphophone might have been trying to economize this motor to help offset the cost of the extra (and barreled) mainspring? If so, this must have been a short-lived experiment.

George P.

phonodesbois
Victor II

Post by phonodesbois »

Thanks all for making my life easier!
So, I will keep this governor considering that the motor runs fine, without noise and at the right speed.
phonogfp wrote:A few early ATs have indeed been found in A-type cabinets.There's a thread on this forum about it, but you'll need to find it with the Search feature.George P.
I didn't find yet the thread as the Search is giving a lot of results but I will try again!
Jeff

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

If I recall, Peter F contributed some data on early ATs in that thread. I don't know if you can incorporate "PeterF" in your search or not.

George P.

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

One of my AT's is in an A cabinet also, and it has a three ball governor. Serial number 204362. Russie

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... at#p203651

My ears! Burning!!

Wow, have a look at how close the serial numbers are between mine, 208166, and the original poster's, 208195. And mine has been in San Francisco for probably at least a century...how did its close sibling get to France?