Why are my cylinders getting damaged?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Why are my cylinders getting damaged?

Post by Mormon S »

I'm playing ics cylinders with a model c reproducer, but after I play there is this left over "dust" of wax. Do I need a new stylus?
Attachments
20181203_192215.jpg

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Why are my cylinders getting damaged?

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Dedicated soul that you are to sit down and listen to archaic language lessons!

I don't know whether your stylus is junk or not. Take your reproducer out and examine the stylus under a flashlight with a jeweler's loupe (magnifying glasses are too weak.) It should look like an old-school glass doorknob with no flat spots.

Also, I see where a lot of Gold Moulded cylinders will "bloom" if stored unplayed, and they will fuzz the stylus first playing and then not. However, I am not exactly a wax whisperer.

Cool, though, that your ICS machine runs. Also cool that you're 15 and own an ICS machine.

Mormon S
Victor III

Post by Mormon S »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:Dedicated soul that you are to sit down and listen to archaic language lessons!

I don't know whether your stylus is junk or not. Take your reproducer out and examine the stylus under a flashlight with a jeweler's loupe (magnifying glasses are too weak.) It should look like an old-school glass doorknob with no flat spots.

Also, I see where a lot of Gold Moulded cylinders will "bloom" if stored unplayed, and they will fuzz the stylus first playing and then not. However, I am not exactly a wax whisperer.

Cool, though, that your ICS machine runs. Also cool that you're 15 and own an ICS machine.
Thank you. I have had to ask alot of dumb questions in order to get my reproducer to sound good, but I have to start somewhere. :lol: I know that it is possible to turn the stylus around to the half that isnt worn down, can anyone give advice on how to do that? Thanks

Martin

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Mormon S wrote: I have had to ask alot of dumb questions in order to get my reproducer to sound good, but I have to start somewhere. :lol:

As the saying goes, the dumb questions are those not asked. Everyone on this forum started with zero knowledge about this stuff at some point.
Mormon S wrote:I know that it is possible to turn the stylus around to the half that isnt worn down, can anyone give advice on how to do that? Thanks

Martin
Turning a 2 minute stylus is pretty simple if you have a vice, soldering iron, tweezers, and a steady hand.

Rather than turning the stylus 180 degrees, I prefer turning it 120. This way it has another century or so of life.

Plug in your soldering iron (low wattage is best) and position the tip alongside the stylus bar where the stylus is located. It won't take long for the shellac to soften.

Then hold your tweezers so they're pointing toward the stylus (as if on the same axis) and GENTLY grasp the "doorknob." A slow, gentle twist of your wrist should allow you to reposition the stylus about 120 degrees. Don't push or pull - just a gentle twist. If the shellac is properly melted you'll feel virtually no resistance.

Good luck.

George P.

Chuck
Victor III
Personal Text: Richards Laboratories http://www.richardslaboratories.com producing high quality cylinder blanks

Post by Chuck »

George is correct. The first and most important
step in learning anything is admitting that you
don't already know it.

As to the scuffing up and the gathering of slight
small waxy particles when you are playing those
cylinders, sometimes this is just a part of playing
cylinders.

We all agree that under "ideal" conditions, there
should be no wear on the record, nor any visible
particles plowed up by the stylus as it plays the
record.

However, in the real world, sometimes there are
visible particles. Edison Gold Moulded cylinders
do it, Edison black wax Amberols do it, Edison
Diamond Discs do it.

What we have here is the real world, vs the ideal
world. Remember and always keep in mind that there
are many very valid reasons why these methods of
recording and playback became obsolete a very long
time ago. One of those reasons is because when
a soft wax record is played with a stylus that has
a heavy weight bearing down upon it and it is being dragged along, there is going to be some amount of damage to the surface every time.

We always hope it isn't too much damage.

Yeah, please do have a close look at your stylus
to see if it has a flat spot worn on it as this
will exacerbate the wear on the record.
"Sustained success depends on searching
for, and gaining, fundamental understanding"

-Bell System Credo

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

Your stylus may be fine. I've purchased many pristine condition Edison black wax cylinders (both 2 minute and 4 minute) that had a light haze or film on them from simply not being played in a very long time. By playing them with a good stylus the cylinder grooves will effectively be cleaned of this film by the stylus and the result after completion of play will be light sediment similar to what is seen in your picture. Then, I simply and carefully wipe off the sediment and the cylinder surface will look almost like new again. As all have stated above, though, it's best to examine the stylus under magnification. Harbor Freight and Hobby Lobby sell an inexpensive magni-visor that may be useful to you. And as George mentioned, rotating a 2 minute stylus is pretty simple. Just be careful handling the stylus once it's free of its hold inside the bar. If you (by accident or intentionally) manage to pull the stylus out completely from the bar and lose your (tweezer) grip on it, it can be tough to find. ;)

Doug

Dr_Buzzsaw
Victor Jr

Post by Dr_Buzzsaw »

This is really just a stab in the dark, but it happened to me once.

While a record is playing, check that stylus bar isn't "bottoming out" or the limit pin/weight isn't hitting the reproducer body. That can sometimes happen when the diaphragm link's too long, and can cause groove damage that looks like what's in your picture. Sometimes it only happens with particular cylinders too, because of wax thickness or eccentricity.

Is this the same reproducer you were asking about earlier, the one that rattled/distorted on loud notes? Were you able to get that fixed?

Mormon S
Victor III

Post by Mormon S »

Dr_Buzzsaw wrote:This is really just a stab in the dark, but it happened to me once.

While a record is playing, check that stylus bar isn't "bottoming out" or the limit pin/weight isn't hitting the reproducer body. That can sometimes happen when the diaphragm link's too long, and can cause groove damage that looks like what's in your picture. Sometimes it only happens with particular cylinders too, because of wax thickness or eccentricity.

Is this the same reproducer you were asking about earlier, the one that rattled/distorted on loud notes? Were you able to get that fixed?
I cleaned the stylus of a tiny hardened clump of wax, then player a section I had played multiple times, and there didnt seem to damage it anymore.

I did fix that rattling problem & the metallic sound problem. I adjusted the the retaining ring a few times and tightened the link, sounds good now. The cylinder I was playing was also super worn out. Thanks to everyone for the replies

Martin

MisterOpera
Victor O

Post by MisterOpera »

As a former teacher, I will say there is no such thing as a "dumb" question. Glad you enjoy your phonograph/