Values on Talking Machines vs. Radios

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
EarlH
Victor III

Re: Values on Talking Machines vs. Radios

Post by EarlH »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnClU3JQWFA

This is my Coronado radio playing with an AM transmitter. I really like listening to my radios this way. Plus, I can turn on the radio in whatever room or where I'm at in the house without having to crank the volume way up on something I want to hear while I'm doing other things around the house. This is the sound from an SS Tran, transmitter. I have one of the tube type transmitters that a guy sells on ebay, and they pick up so much 60 cycle hum it's very distracting. I hardly ever use that transmitter because of it. However, the Radiola 28 is ok with that one for some reason, and that radio doesn't like this solid state transmitter at all. Radiola 28's are really weird animals though and I don't play that thing very often. But, oddly enough, here in Iowa I can get that Radiola to pick up San Diego in the winter!

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Earl, that's a beautiful cabinet with those serpentine pillars and arabesque grille. I've never seen a Coronado, I've only been there, so it must be rare. That little beautiful island on San Diego Harbor! Only in the 20s, before Art Deco design took over!

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

I also collect Zenith transoceanic radios, there value depends on the rarity of the radio. They are like phonographs, cars, and coins, the common ones do not go up in value much but the rarer ones in good shape go up well. A 1932 Ford or Chevy sedan is not worth as much as a 1955 Ford T Bird. It is a hobby and a lot of fun to get something, restore it, and use it as it was intended. Tom

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

A clean 32 Ford that is all original is worth a lot though! Most were hot-rodded as in Milner's deuce coupe in American Graffiti.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

My old radios are not worth powering up for about six months out of every year. And then baseball returns.

marcapra
Victor V

Post by marcapra »

Yes, I've heard that baseball is a particularly radio type of sport, unlike football which is made for tv.