Does Anyone Really Use The Victor Automatic Brake?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Frankia
Victor I

Re: Does Anyone Really Use The Victor Automatic Brake?

Post by Frankia »

I had a really great sounding Meltrope 11 soundbox that got its diaphragm scrunched up when the needle missed the run out groove, slithered extremely quickly across to the side of the record label that was revolving in the opposite direction and the needle dug into the label in resistance. In spite of the best efforts of the best soundbox tuner/technician that I know, it was never as good again. It's good, but not outstanding any more. I came within an ace of having an Expert 2 spring soundbox diaphragm destroyed in exactly the same way earlier this year. By some fluke, the needle caught on the turntable spindle and stayed there until I lifted it with shaking hand. I am a complete fan of automatic brakes. I would have them on every gramophone I own, if I could find someone with the patience and the time to either manufacture them or fit them.

There's another benefit to automatic brakes that I've never heard expressed. Maybe it's because it only really applies to listening to classical music. When I listen to a classical piece, there is a felt need to stop and savour the aftermath of the music and the ensuing silence. I listen to other types of music and don't experience this need, but very frequently experience it with classical music. An automatic brake provides this little hiatus of time to allow the full effect of the performance to swell over the listener and then ebb away into the ether.
For both the above reasons I am a long time devotee of the automatic brake.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

At first I thought the original poster was asking about the Victor semi-automatic brake, probably because I just tried to get one operating somewhat properly for a customer. My answer to that would have been a definite "hell no". The Victor automatic brake on my VV-4-3 is quite different and I use it all the time. Of course it does not work with all records, but I like the convenience.

Andreas

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

On my VV-8-4 : Yes.
On my VV-XI : No.

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

I also don't use the semi-automatic brake much, it hardly ever works anyway. Either too soon or too late. Maybe they were more accurate when new, but I find it tricky to set. It's only good for keeping it roughly set so the needle doesn't fly into the label, and that's good, so it serves a purpose.

I do use the similarly-styled semi-auto brake on my Brunswick Seville. I think that's because I typically play electric records on that one and they have run out or eccentric grooves. Also, the design is much more graceful and seems to be more accurate.

One machine that does have a good semi-auto brake is my Bassanophone, which may be on of the earliest machines ever to have one. Very easy to set and it's pretty darn accurate, even on old acoustics with few empty grooves at the end. It can get out of order if you move the machine, etc, since it's connected to the governor and needs precise adjustment, but once it's set, it's great. Wish Victor had done something like this in the early Victrolas. It seems Victor always went with the simple option (add-on style hardware, not too complex or integrated).

I also actually like the Edison disc brake system. Sure, I'd like it to trip at the end of a song rather than run for a minute over the glossy end area on short records, but at least it's reliable. I always check to make sure there aren't digs or other damage in the inner grooveless area. If the disc is fine, I have been known to let it glide its way to the end if I'm busy. There are quite a few long Edison discs that trip the brake right after they're finished, and it's very satisfying. :lol:

Wes K
Victor I

Post by Wes K »

I use the auto brake on my VV-XVII, but it's my only Victor with a pre-set brake.
It's part of the ritual of playin a record on it to set the brake before playing a record.