Does Anyone Really Use The Victor Automatic Brake?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Dave D
Victor IV

Does Anyone Really Use The Victor Automatic Brake?

Post by Dave D »

I find these useless, since records don't all end at the same place. Am I in the minority here?
Dave D

victor 15-1
Victor I
Personal Text: to own an electrola is a blessing

Re: Does Anyone Really Use The Victor Automatic Brake?

Post by victor 15-1 »

Dave D wrote:I find these useless, since records don't all end at the same place. Am I in the minority here?
Dave D
Yes,I use mine all the time..on the acoustic brakes ,you are supposed to set it for each record

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I use mine because it keeps the needle from scratching up the record labels!

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:I use mine because it keeps the needle from scratching up the record labels!
Doesnt the runnof grove prevent that?

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

Mormon S wrote:
VanEpsFan1914 wrote:I use mine because it keeps the needle from scratching up the record labels!
Not on many early records. Holy cow some of those early records seem to only go 3-4 revolutions before pitching the needle into the center of the record!

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

Mormon S wrote:
Older (that is: pre-1923) Victor records do not have run-out grooves, and very early discs do not even have a locked final groove.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

[quote="Mormon S"[Doesn't the runnof grove prevent that?[/quote]

Not always, but I haven't had it happen many times, for example my EMG doesn't have any kind of automatic brake but a couple of times the reproducer has gone flying onto a disc label and dug it up quickly!

I always use my auto brakes, I just find them to be convenient since I have a bad habit of wandering around the house while things play and it can be a real pain to hurry back to stop the machine if you're a few rooms away.

Sean

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

OrthoSean wrote:...I always use my auto brakes, I just find them to be convenient since I have a bad habit of wandering around the house while things play and it can be a real pain to hurry back to stop the machine if you're a few rooms away. ...
Hey, maybe we could ease that problem by slowing the records down and cutting them with finer grooves to increase playing time!

Hmmm........

Naaah--that would never catch on.

;)

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

OrthoSean wrote:Not always, but I haven't had it happen many times, for example my EMG doesn't have any kind of automatic brake but a couple of times the reproducer has gone flying onto a disc label and dug it up quickly!
Far worse still, with EMGs and Experts the soundbox can fly off still further, dig into the turntable felt or motorboard, and destroy the precious diaphragm. They are more prone to this because of their advanced tracking geometry, which results in considerable overhang beyond the spindle - plus, the locked groove of some records is rather insecure. Several EMG enthusiast friends have had this happen. I keep a large iron weight on the motorboard (with felt feet) to position as a barrier. Sometimes the diaphragm can be saved with hours of micro-panel-beating, but it's to be avoided at all costs!

Apologies for a bit of thread drift.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

burke
Victor I

Post by burke »

Dave D wrote:I find these useless, since records don't all end at the same place. Am I in the minority here?
Dave D
I also don't bother. I have one on the consolette I just finished working on ... It needed some adjustment to work but after staring at it for a while and reading other posts about setting them up I decided I couldn't be arsed. The quality of my life does not seem to be significantly impacted by this decision :|