Edison recording artist Willard Hodgin

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
edisonclassm
Victor II

Edison recording artist Willard Hodgin

Post by edisonclassm »

Does anyone out there know anything about the Edison recording artist Willard Hodgin? I have a number of his records and find them to be some of the strangest renditions. I'm amazed he got to the status of recording records for a major company.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Re: Edison recording artist Willard Hodgin

Post by marcapra »

I have the electric DD, Courtin' the Widow, which is probably the most common, by Hodgin. It's hillbilly or country in genre, but unlike the sad Ernest Stoneman DDs, it's very funny. I guess it proves that not all hillbilly music was sad.

Allens Archive
Victor Jr

Post by Allens Archive »

Willard Hodgin (sometimes spelled Hodgins) was a "hillbilly" artist and did indeed have an odd style. He played banjo, presumably 5 string, in kind of an odd style as his own accompaniment. He first recorded only one side in 1927 for Columbia, but the side was never issued. His last recording was in 1930, which, oddly enough, also was never issued. He also recorded 2 sides for Brunswick in 1927 that also was never issued. He cut 2 sides for OKeh in 1927 that were issued under the name Mountain Dew Dare. All his Edison sides (all recorded in 1928 at 4 different sessions) were released under the name Willard Hodgin. 4 discs were released by Edison and all 8 sides were also issued on cylinder. He recorded again for Columbia in 1928 with one disc being issued under the name Banjo Joe. Also in 1928 he recorded 4 sides for what we now call the ARC recording group that were released on Banner, Domino, Regal, Conqueror, Jewel and Oriole with different song couplings under the name Willard Hodgins, William or Willard Randolph and Kit Nelson. He also recorded for Victor in 1928, having 1 disc released as Willard Hodgin (Banjo Joe). All this information is from Tony Russell`s book Country Music Records.
Now as far as style goes, he was a very unique (possibly too unique for the record companies?) singer and picker. He played banjo in sort of a flat pick plectrum/tenor banjo style, really just mostly chording along with his voice. His singing style wasn`t really singing, as he just sort of talked the words along with his banjo chording. Just a really odd style. I have never found out any personal information on him and maybe there isn`t any.
I have a couple of the Edison discs, the Victor disc and a Conqueror disc. I also have the OKeh disc. I also have the Columbia Banjo Joe disc.
18 sides were issued in total out of 30 that were recorded.

edisonclassm
Victor II

Post by edisonclassm »

Thanks for the info. Sheds a little more light on this obscure recording artist. It would be nice if a photo of him emerged but you said you had no personal info on him. Unusual and odd style to say the least. I wonder if Johnny Cash was inspired by this guys style of talking and singing in the same performance?

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Here is a link to a Youtube video and shows of picture of Hodgin. The song is Don't Get One Woman On Your Mind
from an Edison DD.

disclaimer: Lyrics may offend some.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkTRPW7LZgY