Feed N wax on amberola 30?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Feed N wax on amberola 30?

Post by Mormon S »

I spent a few hours yesterday cleaning up this amberola 30. I had to use alot of manual scraping and several layers of gojo, and it looks slightly dry now. I know people use Feed N Wax on radio cabinets, would it be good to use on an amberola 30?

Thanks
Martin
Attachments
Snapchat-1776717336.jpg
Snapchat-509217418.jpg

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Feed N wax on amberola 30?

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Could you try top-coating it with a mixture of thinned shellac (Bull's Eye amber mixed with a bit of denatured alcohol to get it runny) wiped on with a pad?

I think you scraped off some of the shellac finish (the bubbled-up part in your BEFORE pics) and of course it will look dry with no finish on it.

Wiping on a bit more shellac oughtn't to hurt a thing.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Feed N Wax won't do any harm at all, go for it. It usually works best if you let it really soak in, I've had a couple of machines that required a few applications of it before it finally looked nice.

Sean

Mormon S
Victor III

Post by Mormon S »

OrthoSean wrote:Feed N Wax won't do any harm at all, go for it. It usually works best if you let it really soak in, I've had a couple of machines that required a few applications of it before it finally looked nice.

Sean
I did a coat of feed n wax for 20 minutes. I might do another tomorrow. One side of the lid looks lighter than the rest, but I didnt do anything more to it that I didnt do to the rest, so I think that's how it was... either way it looks much less dry.

Martin

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:I think you scraped off some of the shellac finish (the bubbled-up part in your BEFORE pics) and of course it will look dry with no finish on it.
Agree. This isn't the first time I've seen a finish removed by too much scraping. Using Gojo or Goop is OK, but you have to go gently. Otherwise you end up with a stripped finish which is not desirable. :shock:
Best regards ... AZ*

Mormon S
Victor III

Post by Mormon S »

AZ* wrote:
VanEpsFan1914 wrote:I think you scraped off some of the shellac finish (the bubbled-up part in your BEFORE pics) and of course it will look dry with no finish on it.
Agree. This isn't the first time I've seen a finish removed by too much scraping. Using Gojo or Goop is OK, but you have to go gently. Otherwise you end up with a stripped finish which is not desirable. :shock:
Well, before I started the entire machine was basically black, so I think it is still a huge improvement, but I'm deciding to leave it the way it is having saved what I can.