Asbestos in early RCA Electrolas

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victrolacollector
Victor V

Asbestos in early RCA Electrolas

Post by Victrolacollector »

Has any of the members came across asbestos in the 1920’s phonographs with amplifiers and radios? I heard that some had the RCA Radiola 18 in the cabinet and it contains asbestos. How would one remove it or should it be just left in undisturbed?

I am sure there are other toxic parts out there, pot metal with lead etc.

Even today with cell phones we have potential risks from radio waves, particle board glues etc.

victor 15-1
Victor I
Personal Text: to own an electrola is a blessing

Re: Asbestos in early RCA Electrolas

Post by victor 15-1 »

Victrolacollector wrote:Has any of the members came across asbestos in the 1920’s phonographs with amplifiers and radios? I heard that some had the RCA Radiola 18 in the cabinet and it contains asbestos. How would one remove it or should it be just left in undisturbed?

Even today with cell phones we have potential risks from radio waves, particle board glues etc.

LEAVE IT ALONE !!!

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

It's in a lot of old stuff. The hazard is when you inhale the little airborne bits created when you mess with it, like when you try to remove it, so don't mess with it. Best thing to do, especially if it's chipping or fraying or otherwise unstable, is to contain it with a coating of some sort. Do research about what to use, especially if the location is going to experience high heat.

Odds are, you're safe though.

Victrolacollector
Victor V

victor 15-1 wrote:
Victrolacollector wrote:Has any of the members came across asbestos in the 1920’s phonographs with amplifiers and radios? I heard that some had the RCA Radiola 18 in the cabinet and it contains asbestos. How would one remove it or should it be just left in undisturbed?

LEAVE IT ALONE !!!
Good advice. I don’t own any of these units but thought it’s something that collectors should be aware of.

Victrolacollector
Victor V

PeterF wrote:It's in a lot of old stuff. The hazard is when you inhale the little airborne bits created when you mess with it, like when you try to remove it, so don't mess with it. Best thing to do, especially if it's chipping or fraying or otherwise unstable, is to contain it with a coating of some sort. Do research about what to use, especially if the location is going to experience high heat.

I wonder if it was used in those old Edison toasters and irons? If it was used in the old toasters, they got some AsbesToast.That’s not funny but is something to be mindful of.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Victrolacollector wrote:
PeterF wrote:It's in a lot of old stuff. The hazard is when you inhale the little airborne bits created when you mess with it, like when you try to remove it, so don't mess with it. Best thing to do, especially if it's chipping or fraying or otherwise unstable, is to contain it with a coating of some sort. Do research about what to use, especially if the location is going to experience high heat.

I wonder if it was used in those old Edison toasters and irons? If it was used in the old toasters, they got some AsbesToast.That’s not funny but is something to be mindful of.
On the other hand, life itself is sexually transmitted and fatal, so enjoy your Electrola while you iron your clothes and have toast. :D
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I live in a house with asbestos siding. It's been on there since the 1950s and still looks all right.

We painted it again and it's still holding up like concrete.

Moved in here in 2005 so I guess it's not killing us any time soon unless I decide to go outside and snort a line of house.

pianolist
Victor I

Post by pianolist »

Asbestos is only hazardous as micro particles one would inhale and then they would become imbedded in the lungs. It’s not toxic. You could eat asbestos but I somehow don’t think it would taste great.

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Asbestos isn’t anywhere near as dangerous as the companies who charge astronomical sums to abate it claim. You aren’t going to get mesothelioma by sitting in the same room as something containing asbestos. Unless you worked in an asbestos mine or have been working with it for years with no respirator, you have little to worry about. My house has asbestos siding, my pipes have asbestos insulation, my vintage appliance cord sets have asbestos lining, my stove has corrugated asbestos panels inside, my lantern mantles have asbestos tie strings (not to mention Thorium, oh no!), and the list goes on. I’m not concerned in the least. Another thing you should be aware of is that most of the asbestos used in household applications was white asbestos which is not nearly as dangerous as blue asbestos when inhaled. Luckily, blue asbestos was primarily used in marine and industrial applications and we have relatively little danger of coming across it with everyday objects like Blue Amberol cores (if they even contain it), Electrolas, wiring, pipe insulation, siding, etc. Furthermore, to put your mind even more at ease, asbestos fibers which are fixed in something (like siding or insulation) are even less dangerous as they cannot become airborne as easily. Even if they do, the particles are still larger than raw asbestos. Just like any other dust, I’d recommend wearing a respirator when working with it however. If you’re smart about it, your health won’t be in danger.

This concludes my rant on asbestos.

victor 15-1
Victor I
Personal Text: to own an electrola is a blessing

Post by victor 15-1 »

HisMastersVoice wrote:Asbestos isn’t anywhere near as dangerous as the companies who charge astronomical sums to abate it claim. You aren’t going to get mesothelioma by sitting in the same room as something containing asbestos. Unless you worked in an asbestos mine or have been working with it for years with no respirator, you have little to worry about. My house has asbestos siding, my pipes have asbestos insulation, my vintage appliance cord sets have asbestos lining, my stove has corrugated asbestos panels inside, my lantern mantles have asbestos tie strings (not to mention Thorium, oh no!), and the list goes on. I’m not concerned in the least. Another thing you should be aware of is that most of the asbestos used in household applications was white asbestos which is not nearly as dangerous as blue asbestos when inhaled. Luckily, blue asbestos was primarily used in marine and industrial applications and we have relatively little danger of coming across it with everyday objects like Blue Amberol cores (if they even contain it), Electrolas, wiring, pipe insulation, siding, etc. Furthermore, to put your mind even more at ease, asbestos fibers which are fixed in something (like siding or insulation) are even less dangerous as they cannot become airborne as easily. Even if they do, the particles are still larger than raw asbestos. Just like any other dust, I’d recommend wearing a respirator when working with it however. If you’re smart about it, your health won’t be in danger.

This concludes my rant on asbestos.
Well said !!