Canadian Berliner "Daisy" Needle Tins

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gramophone78
Victor VI

Canadian Berliner "Daisy" Needle Tins

Post by gramophone78 »

Well, it took many years to collect five different types of the scarce "daisy" style needle tins. The "Victoria" is extra loud and the "Double Tone" is a spear point needle (see insert). Does any member have a different version they can share..?.
20181212_113527.jpg
20181212_115621.jpg

burke
Victor I

Re: Canadian Berliner "Daisy" Needle Tins

Post by burke »

gramophone78 wrote:Well, it took many years to collect five different types of the scarce "daisy" style needle tins. The "Victoria" is extra loud and the "Double Tone" is a spear point needle (see insert). Does any member have a different version they can share..?.
20181212_113527.jpg
20181212_115621.jpg
Those are wonderful!

Also I learned something I did not know about spear point needles.

Can I assume the same principal applies to modern spear points?

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

burke wrote:
gramophone78 wrote:Well, it took many years to collect five different types of the scarce "daisy" style needle tins. The "Victoria" is extra loud and the "Double Tone" is a spear point needle (see insert). Does any member have a different version they can share..?.
20181212_113527.jpg
20181212_115621.jpg
Those are wonderful!

Also I learned something I did not know about spear point needles.

Can I assume the same principal applies to modern spear points?
Based on the insert I would assume the same.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I made the "mistake" of supposing this bit of antique advertising hype to be correct, and, when I fixed up my first Victrola in 2016, I decided to buy Siren Spear Points to save money on needle types.

Figured I'd test them out with my newly-restored Victrola and my first eBay record buy, the 1921 Ride of the Valkyries. Everything went so well I should have known that the Ridiculous was lurking, and it reared its head when the Philadelphia Symphony Orchestra cleared both my bedroom and the kitchen, sending us all holding our ears out into the rest of the house where we admired the fidelity and decided that the needles were too much on that record.

I used them for DJ service--on an old horn Victor machine with a record of "Paddlin' Madeline Home," we drowned out a CSX freight train passing a block away!

So I don't recommend them for relaxed listening but if you like your Victrola to air itself out every now and then, by all means get them.

TURNED TIPS DO NOT A SOFT-TONE MAKE.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

I should add why I ask if other variations of the Daisy tin may exist.

The Canadian Berliner multi needle tin uses the following descriptions for the needles..... Pianissimo,Piano, Gramophone and Victoria . Also known as... Fine, Medium, Loud and Extra Loud

There is also a different font used for the company name and location "MONTREAL". I have yet to see any other version (other than the red Medium tone) with this font difference.

So, any member that happens to own a Daisy showing these other descriptions (other than Victoria)...I would appreciate seeing it.
Berliner Multi Needle Tin (11).JPG

Canuk Phonographs
Victor II

Post by Canuk Phonographs »

Wonderful collection. I have 3 of the needle tins you have shown with no difference other than not near as good of condition as yours.
Nice collection.
Thanks for showing.
Blain

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Canuk Phonographs wrote:Wonderful collection. I have 3 of the needle tins you have shown with no difference other than not near as good of condition as yours.
Nice collection.
Thanks for showing.
Blain

Thanks for the info and comment Blain. It was 20+ years in making... :lol:. The Double Tone Daisy tin is the only one I have found to contain the little paper insert card explaining their use. I'm surprised it wasn't tossed as the tin was empty when found.

Indestructible
Victor I
Personal Text: Going through life at 160 RPM

Post by Indestructible »

Wow !
Great collection of those daisy's !
I've been searching since 1998 and have my hands on two tins. (fine tone and medium tone)