Canadian Berliner 1000 Needle Tin Question

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gramophone78
Victor VI

Canadian Berliner 1000 Needle Tin Question

Post by gramophone78 »

I asked the members years ago regarding this matter with no result. However, with new members joining, I thought I would try again.

Years ago I bought here in Canada a 1000 needle tin that I had never seen before. At first glance, one could mistake it for a Victor 1000 black & gold needle tin (commonly seen). After a second look, you start to notice a marked difference.

In Canada, Berliner offered at least two variations of a very fancy and colorful 1000 tin. One being more rectangular. I have assumed these are earlier than the black & gold tin.

At some point, the Canadian company appears to have "copied" the simpler and smaller black & gold design. This must have been short lived as I have not been able to locate another. The tin in question is the lower of the two (sans Victor).

Did Victor put a stop to the use of this tin or...?. Maybe the black & gold is the earlier version and the fancy tins were introduced later..??.

Can any member provide further information or another example please...?.
1000Tin #1 (2).JPG
Berliner 1000 Needle Tin (1).JPG
American & Canadian Black & Gold 1000 needle Tins (2).JPG
American & Canadian Black & Gold 1000 needle Tins.JPG

Indestructible
Victor I
Personal Text: Going through life at 160 RPM

Re: Canadian Berliner 1000 Needle Tin Question

Post by Indestructible »

I could be wrong but I always have thought that Victor was to the United States as His Masters Voice "Berliner" was to Canada. Like a branch of the same company. Ultimately the revenue went to the same place. Just the impression I've always had.
I've never looked into it.